OPNsense/PFsense firewall rule to allow LAN access to VLAN

Boyd911

Apr 8, 2023
Hi there,

I’m using OPNsense as a firewall and VLAN. But I’d like to access (SSH mainly) the VMs at the VLAN from my LAN, but every firewall rule I make on the VLAN seems to block the LAN. Ping or SSH from LAN results in a time-out.
What am i doing wrong?

Firewall rules VLAN below:IMG_0031.jpeg
IMG_0034.jpeg
Pic1: I’ve allowed VLAN (192.168.20.1) internet access and access to LAN (182.168.2.1) is blocked. And tried to give LAN access to anything on VLAN
Pic2: From LAN everything is allowed.

Below a ping to google which works, but a ping to VLAN doesn’t work.
IMG_0033.jpeg

Last edited:
- firewall > rules > LAN :
Action Pass, protocol ipv4 tcp, source LAN net, Port Any, Destination VLAN20, Port 22

- firewall > rules > VLAN20:
VLAN20 does not need opening of SSH port.
I would suggest:
Delete/disable first firewall rule because it makes no sense.
Change your second firewall rule from "Source *" to "Source VLAN20".
So it reads : Block VLAN20 to LAN

The idea behind it is : think from the interface itself and where you want to create access to.
And make sure the "Pass" rule(s) are on top in your list, not at the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: HLPCLC
ping access from LAN net to VLAN20 :

- firewall > rules > LAN :
Action Pass, protocol ipv4 ICMP, source LAN net, Port Any, Destination VLAN20, Port Any

Make sure your managed switch is grouping your LAN (VLAN 1) and VLAN together, or put your VLAN on the same PVID as your LAN.

Edit: This can honestly be as confusing or more confusing than the firewall rules. Yours seem to be great. Your allow all rule should work by default on both ends. Your managed switching is probably the cause of the issues.

Edit 2: This can become even more complicated if you are using both VLANs in Proxmox and an actual managed switch :)

Last edited:
Make sure your managed switch is grouping your LAN (VLAN 1) and VLAN together, or put your VLAN on the same PVID as your LAN.

Edit: This can honestly be as confusing or more confusing than the firewall rules. Yours seem to be great. Your allow all rule should work by default on both ends. Your managed switching is probably the cause of the issues.

Edit 2: This can become even more complicated if you are using both VLANs in Proxmox and an actual managed switch :)

He has no managed switch.
Just an ISP modem and 2 pve hosts.
On one pve host he has OPNsense running as a router/firewall.

Last edited:
Reactions: HLPCLC
yes, it’s an ubuntu linux container.

I’ve set PermitRootLogin to yes but I can’t get in from LAN. VLAN to VLAN works.

With you last remark do you mean in the ISP modem?

yes, it’s an ubuntu linux container.

I’ve set PermitRootLogin to yes but I can’t get in from LAN. VLAN to VLAN works.

With you last remark do you mean in the ISP modem?
Not in your modem but in the ubuntu vm. Although I think ubuntu has no default firewall active out of the box like Debian.

"VLAN to VLAN works."

- if you mean VLAN10 to VLAN20 can "see" each other, is not the concept of vlans.
They should be completely isolated/firewalled.

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant VM11 on VLAN20 to other VM12 on VLAN20. See below Diagram.IMG_0037.jpeg

Last edited:
My VLAN was connected to WAN interface, changed this LAN. See settings.

But now my VMs don’t get an IP from VLAN DHCP. What am i missing here?

pve02 - Proxmox Virtual Environment 4.pngpve02 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.pngAssignments  Interfaces  OPNsense.localdomain.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!