OpenVZ Assin MAC Address

tailwindALWAYS

Apr 24, 2009
I'm very new (few days old) to the OpenVZ, KVM, and proxmox environment, but I'm liking it a lot coming from free VMware solutions!

We run about 5 virtual servers that are Windows and 5 that are Linux (all Debian). From what I've gathered, if I'm going to install a Linux VM I should use OpenVZ. However, one thing I'm not understanding is how it uses the network. I gathered that it bridges to the NIC on the host, however, it doesn't use it's own MAC address, right?

Where I work we have to registered every MAC address with ITS and then they assign DNS and (static) DHCP accordingly. How would OpenVZ work in my environment?

From what I've gathered, if I'm going to install a Linux VM I should use OpenVZ. However, one thing I'm not understanding is how it uses the network. I gathered that it bridges to the NIC on the host, however, it doesn't use it's own MAC address, right?

It has its own MAC if you use bridged network mode. But you can also use venet mode - then it has no MAC, see

http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth

Where I work we have to registered every MAC address with ITS and then they assign DNS and (static) DHCP accordingly. How would OpenVZ work in my environment?

First, I consider that a dangerous setup, ...

But if you use bridged mode you can do it the same way (the MAC address can be found in the config file /etc/vz/conf/xxx.conf)

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!