Open Source Network Monitoring Tool

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
Just curious what Network Monitoring tools being used by Proxmox community which are Open Source without per device license fees.
I tried several but want to know which is being used the most and community considers good enough. I know its hard to be "fully satisfied" with a single tool but "above avg. satisfied" is acceptable.

I have tried Monit, Munin and Nagios. I have settled with Nagios since Nagios has the largest community and the most plugins.

Tried zabbix and nagios, stuck with nagios. well not nagios itself because it doesn't get updated at all, but rather icinga. nagios OMD (the OMD guys added their flavour to nagios) would be an alternative to icinga.
great thing is, it doesn't exactly matter which nagios implementation you use, you'll always be able to use ALL the "plugins" as in check binaries/scripts the community has come up with. And theres a nagios plugin for almost anything

Great tips guys! So far i have been using combinations of paid services to track my networks. Recently networks are increasing in size in some cases we added twice the devices. Since paid tools works based on number of devices, for obvious reason it is getting too expansive.
Based on the tips, Observium and Icinga seems promising right now. Nagios indeed is a "pain" to setup. :)

+1 for Observium, and you can complete the setup with Smokeping for the latency

Just curious what Network Monitoring tools being used by Proxmox community which are Open Source without per device license fees.
I tried several but want to know which is being used the most and community considers good enough. I know its hard to be "fully satisfied" with a single tool but "above avg. satisfied" is acceptable.

Hi, we use in my company PandoraFMS to monitoring all our network systems by SNMP or ICMP/TCP protocols, and then all our servers with its fabolous agents. I heard one of his webinar, which will come out in the next version for Windows. If you need more information about this tool visit the webpage. www pandorafms com.

King Regards

Nagios has one of the largest ecosystem for plugins. Not sure if this is a plus for yo, but Nagios also has insightful reporting.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!