Only 1 backup(s) allowed?

skalarproduktraum

Mar 31, 2012
Hi there,

I just ran into a problem with my Proxmox 2.0-59 installation. I wanted to create a new backup of a VM, but Proxmox refused with
Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 102 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress gzip --storage vm-storage --node proxmox
ERROR: Backup of VM 102 failed - only 1 backup(s) allowed - please consider to remove old backup files.
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

A similar problem was reported at http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9017-backup-not-working, where dietmar stated at the end that
the number of allowed backups is now a storage property. I did check the options for the storage pool, but frankly, I didn't find the mentioned option. Could somebody please give me a pointer?

Thanks!

I did check the options for the storage pool, but frankly, I didn't find the mentioned option. Could somebody please give me a pointer?

Datacenter/Storage - option is called 'Max backups'

Reactions: jkilbreth
Does it not remove old backups? The first thing that came to mind when that option was presented was that it would remove the oldest backup automatically.

/b

Does it not remove old backups? The first thing that came to mind when that option was presented was that it would remove the oldest backup automatically.

Set it to '0' for unlimited number of backups.

Reactions: DonMcCoy
Hi,

I have a similar issue. I checked the setting though and its already set to 0.

Setting it to a high value solves the problem, but setting it to 0 does not allow unlimited for me.

I have 2 node cluster ver 2.1-1

edit..
also FYI,

the VM im backing up is a windows server.
I had backed up once before.
Its running on its own LVM partition, which is replicated via DRDB
Im doing a snapshot

dont know if any of that has relevance

Nine years later I am resuming this old thread to note that the info message is still very uninformative:

"only 1 backup(s) allowed - please consider to remove old backup files"

I also thought for a long time it was some kind of technical limitation, not a simple proxmox setting.

Maybe it should be changed to something like "only 1 backup(s) allowed - please consider to remove old backup files or change the storage settings".

Nine years later I am resuming this old thread to note that the info message is still very uninformative:

"only 1 backup(s) allowed - please consider to remove old backup files"

I also thought for a long time it was some kind of technical limitation, not a simple proxmox setting.

Maybe it should be changed to something like "only 1 backup(s) allowed - please consider to remove old backup files or change the storage settings".

Valid point, but it makes sense only if you are the cluster manager. If you have a multi-user setup and the user has access to manage the VM, this will bring more confusion. You end up with different alert messages based on the user role and this complicates the overall Proxmox UI logic. I guess the best message would be something like:
Code:
Currently there is a limit of <max_backups_storage> set for this drive and no additional backups are possible. Please consider deleting existing backup(-s) or choosing a different storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!