One and only Intel iGPU passthrough to Windows VM with HDMI/Displayport output

DATAAta

Jun 11, 2022
Hello!

I have a mini PC (Zotac ZBOX CI642 nano) with a 10th gen Intel Core i5-10210U processor and integrated Intel UHD Graphics. I would like to use this machine as a HomeAssisstant server, a NAS, etc... and running and using Windows virtual machine for work and home usage.
I use a 4K monitor with 60Hz, so I would like to passthrough the one and only iGPU to the Windows VM. I have achieved (half) success without HDMI/Displayport output. When I start the Windows VM the screen goes black and the monitor says "No signal". I can use the VM and the iGPU with remote desktop app but this solution is not good enough for every day use because of the lagging/delay of remote desktop for example while watching Youtube video. I would like to run several "home lab things" (and Proxmox) headless from browser and use a Windows VM with display output as usual parallel at the same time.

I read about passthrough problems with Proxmox VE 7.2, as well as some recommended kernel version, i440 or Q35 machine type, Seabios or OVMF, etc... I have tried several combination. The only thing I try to avoid is rom file sideloading. I hope I can avoid it because it seems quite complicated in the Intel iGPU case.

How could I use video output (HDMI or Displayport) with Windows VM?
Please tell me everything that needs: Proxmox VE version, kernel version, machine type, BIOS type, GRUB and etc necessary files.

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I have the same question, and I was thinking of writing a new forum, but I will be guided by the answers in this one. In my case, I have a PC with intel i5 7400 and I only have the intel graphics hd 630. In my case, I tried to install manjaro, to create a windows 11 VM using qemu and occupy it with the igpu and it works perfectly, However, I would like to be able to make proxmox work for the same purpose, and I managed to pass the integrated graphics card but in the windows 11 VM I see two graphics cards (the microsoft driver and the igpu) and I cannot pass the igpu as a single screen and main.

I appreciate any kind of help too! Blessings!

1667188104208.png

My windows 11 VM looks like this after following the iGPU Split passthrough guide. Both drivers appear, microsoft and intel, but my monitor only connects to the microsoft driver, therefore the image quality and performance is deplorable.

Last edited:
fyi. PVE Intel GPU passthrough to MacOS monterey, no signal | Proxmox Support Forum

In win10, I can pass through the igpu output to the physical display, but macos has no signal output.
Hello!

Thanks for your post. As I see your Windows VM config is:
Code:
root@pve:~#  cat /etc/pve/nodes/pve/qemu-server/100.conf
args: -set device.hostpci0.x-igd-gms=1
boot: order=virtio0;ide2
cores: 2
cpu: host
hostpci0: 0000:00:02.0,legacy-igd=1
hostpci1: 0000:00:14.0
ide2: none,media=cdrom
machine: pc-i440fx-6.1
memory: 4096
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1670155740
name: Win10
net0: virtio=82:82:23:39:3D:E3,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=9f0c56ef-1877-4bf5-8ca9-0d35d253e312
sockets: 1
vga: none
virtio0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,size=80G
vmgenid: 4ab9a18d-4ec4-47e0-8501-afb499cbe0ab
root@pve:~#

As I see you choose i440 machine type. But could you say these:
- SeaBIOS or OVMF BIOS type?
- Proxmox VE version?
- kernel version?
- Do you use custom VGA/GPU ROM file?
- GRUB or etc necessary files that need to change?

Thanks for your reply!

Default, SeaBIOS

- Proxmox VE version?
7.1-7
However, I'm on 7.2 or 7.3 and can't do it.

- kernel version?

No

Yes, here is my all changes: PVE直通核显输出显示Win + macOS Monterey - DELL 7050 MFF 笔记_网络工程_IT密码 (itpwd.com)
Although it is a Chinese website, you should know it by looking at the code. Note that grub, vifo, vm's conf have all been modified a bit.

Fyi the pic
1670375344604.png

Reactions: _gabriel
add /etc/kernel/cmline or /etc/default/grub
`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt video=vesafb:off video=efifb:eek:ff video=simplefb:eek:ff"
`
update-grub.
make sure bios=seabios and machine=i440fx

Default, SeaBIOS

- Proxmox VE version?
7.1-7
However, I'm on 7.2 or 7.3 and can't do it.

- kernel version?

No

Yes, here is my all changes: PVE直通核显输出显示Win + macOS Monterey - DELL 7050 MFF 笔记_网络工程_IT密码 (itpwd.com)
Although it is a Chinese website, you should know it by looking at the code. Note that grub, vifo, vm's conf have all been modified a bit.

Fyi the pic
View attachment 44220

thank You, that was the only one that worked for I3-10100 to passthrough UHD630 without any issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!