oem manufacturer version with kvm?

ion-ral

Sep 5, 2009
a little itch ...
In practice I have a Windows 2008 standard server ibm license and a server ibm x3650 m2
in practice when I start installing windows tells me that the computer is not IBM and the license may only work with IBM ...
with VMware, I have never had this problem ...
Can you tell me if it is a limit of QEMU / KVM or a parameter to be added for them to understand the type of host computer?
thanks

I solved ...
qemu is only one parameter and do not know in what form you can implement in the config files ...

-smbios type=1,manufacturer=IBM,product=System x3650 M2 -[7947K4G]-

these parameters can be found with the following command:

Code:
dmidecode -t 1
the output

Code:
#dmidecode 2.9

SMBIOS 2.5 present.

Handle 0x0028, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
    Manufacturer: [B]IBM[/B]
    Product Name: [B]System x3650 M2 -[7947K4G]-[/B]
    Version: 00
    Serial Number: KD328DX
    UUID: 3BCD9713-78X3-3X63-AA58-BD71B27BCE9C
    Wake-up Type: Power Switch
    SKU Number: XxXxXxX
    Family: System x

Last edited:
thanks for posting this, but aren´t you violation the ms oem license agreement with this setup?

certainly thinks so, but there may be circumstances where it may remain useful this option would not it? retrieve a configuration, or a momentary use before switching to another valid os

I agree, I just want to mention this here. (also for other people reading this useful thread)

I solved ...
qemu is only one parameter and do not know in what form you can implement in the config files ...

use the 'args' setting:

Code:
args: -smbios 'type=1,manufacturer=IBM,product=[B]System x3650 M2 -[7947K4G]-'[/B]

Reactions: noobkilervip

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!