[SOLVED] NVIDIA graphics card code 43 in win 10 vm

jstricker

Mar 6, 2024
Hello everyone,
I have a Win 10 Pro VM running on Proxmox. I have passed an Nvidia Gforce GT 710 graphics card through to this VM. I have installed the "GeForce Security Update Driver" and the "GeForce Game Ready Driver" from the Nvidia download page. However, the graphics card always shows me the following errors: "Dieses Gerät wurde angehalten, weil es Fehler gemeldet hat. (Code 43)"

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to solve this problem?

I solved my Problem now. For whatever reason, proxmox grabbed the graphics card even though I passed it to the VM. I do the following in proxmox:

lspci -n -s 01:00
01:00.0 0300: 1002:6779
01:00.1 0403: 1002:aa98

echo "options vfio-pci ids=1002:6779,1002:aa98" > /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf

update-initramfs -u

reboot

After the reboot no code 43 in the VM and the VM recognizes the graphics card after every restart without errors

Reactions: leesteken
I solved my Problem now. For whatever reason, proxmox grabbed the graphics card even though I passed it to the VM.
That's normal behavior.
I do the following in proxmox:

lspci -n -s 01:00
01:00.0 0300: 1002:6779
01:00.1 0403: 1002:aa98

echo "options vfio-pci ids=1002:6779,1002:aa98" > /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf

update-initramfs -u

reboot
That's what the manual suggest you do: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_host_configuration
After the reboot no code 43 in the VM and the VM recognizes the graphics card after every restart without errors
Glad you got it working. Thank you for reporting back on the solution and marking this thread as solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!