Nvidia drivers give blank screen in VM

Alvetris

Apr 27, 2021
I keep getting a blank screen when launching my Arch Linux VM in Proxmox with an Nvidia GTX 650 TI card passed through. When installing Arch I can see the installation screen. After installing Arch, OpenSSH and the latest Nvidia drivers(which should support my card according to their website) and rebooting I can SSH into the system and run nvidia-smi which looks like it's working, but there is no output to the display. The Nouveau drivers work fine, but don't have the performance I desire. I tried all 3 outputs, none have any output, but the display does seem to be detected by the Arch VM.

This is my vmid.conf:

agent: 1 args: -machine type=q35,kernel_irqchip=on bios: ovmf boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0 cores: 4 cpu: host,hidden=1,flags=+pcid efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1,size=4M hostpci0: 03:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1 ide2: none,media=cdrom machine: q35 memory: 8000 name: ArchVM net0: virtio=7E:E3:01:BA:08:AB,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1 numa: 0 ostype: l26 scsi0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-0,size=50G scsihw: virtio-scsi-single smbios1: uuid=d242de5f-cffd-4f4d-bb25-5c995d5a7f88 sockets: 1 usb0: host=1-7,usb3=1 vga: none vmgenid: ca981a10-3088-4e9d-bcb0-bf036019d2ba

I have edited the kernel parameters (+ updated GRUB) on the host:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction video=efifb:eek:ff"

Blacklisted the nvidia (+ most other) drivers on the host:

blacklist snd_hda_intel blacklist snd_hda_codec_hdmi blacklist i915 blacklist nvidia blacklist nouveau

Modules are in place on the host:

vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd

Tried to use different kernel parameters on the Arch VM:

nvidia-drm.modeset=1 nvidia-drm.modeset=0 nomodeset

Edited the Mkinitcpio on the Arch VM:

nvidia, nvidia_modeset, nvidia_uvm and nvidia_drm

All to no avail. I feel like I am missing something crucial, but I can't think of anything else at the moment. Maybe someone else has this figured out?

Thank you in advance for your time

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!