Noob...No Hard disk Found

Tyson_

May 11, 2023
After booting up my U59 mini pc with a 8gb usb Proxmox boot medium I received this error message "No Hard disk Found! The installer could not find a supported hard disk. Please visit www.proxmox.com for more information. " I looked through a bunch of forums with any luck so I decide to give this a shot. Any assistance is much appreciated. This is my first time using Proxmox.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 33
Does the Hard Disk show up in the BIOS?

I dont have a hard disk just a SSD for storage and usb boot medium. Boot order set to usb first

Attachments

• IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3102.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Generally when a system like this refers to a hard disk it's a holdover from when that was the only type of storage, any normal storage should work, HDD or SSD. What type of SSD is it? M.2 NVMe, SATA, PCIe (like Optane)?
Also, in the BIOS boot options, the point isn't whether or not it's set to boot to it, it's whether it's there at all - if you can't choose it as a boot device (regardless of whether or not it has an OS) then that suggests that the storage media itself just isn't being seen, which would suggest a hardware or firmware issue.

I have an NVME M.2 SATA3. How can I check to see whether this is a issue with the hardware or firmware issue?

No, lol. Just NVME. It doesn't specifically identify the device which is a “Silicon Motion AZW 512G NV428” in the boot menu. Over the last few weeks I been have issues installing ubuntu but wanted to try proxmox anyway. I presume it’s corrupted or failed. Not sure how I can correct this problem.

Last edited:
Just NVME. It doesn't specifically identify the device which is a “Silicon Motion AZW 512G NV428” in the boot menu.
I looked up the specs for that drive, it is an SSD not an NVME, so i don't think the "NVME" showing up in your bios is actually the disk that is installed.

What you can do: make a bootstick with ubuntu and boot into a live environment (i.e. don't install ubuntu, just use it form the stick). You can use the Gnome disk utility to check on the drive [1], see if it is detected.
If it is not detected: it might have come loose or just sit slightly wrong and opening the device an reseating it could fix it. You could also try installing the disk in a different computer and see if it is recognized. However, I have no idea what country you are in and if this would void your warranty. So check that first.
Alternatively, if the S.M.A.R.T. check tells you the disk is borked or the disk is not found, you could send the computer back, if it is still in warranty. (See also the EU website on return policies, should you be in the EU [2]. Don't take what I am writing as legal advice, I am not a lawyer).
If it is not in warranty, you could replace the disk yourself, it's generally not hard, see if you can find a tutorial on how to open and remove pieces from your device. Since the disk is not soldered on, you can just put a new one in. Just make sure to get one that fits (See M, B and M+B keys)

[1]: https://askubuntu.com/questions/528...-a-ssd-or-hdd-on-current-versions-of-ubuntu-1
[2]: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!