non-HA cluster

Waschbüsch

Renowned Member
Dec 15, 2014
Munich
Hello everyone,

I have a three-node cluster running including ceph and would like to know if the following is possible:
If one of the nodes goes down, I would like to be able to start one of the dead node's VMs on a remaining node.
This is decidedly not about HA, fencing and the like, but about bringing up a VM manually(!) on a different node when needed.
Since virtual disks reside on ceph, they are already accessible even if one of the nodes goes down.
The whole thing is more like cold standby, I guess.

Is it possible to 'migrate' a VM when the node it is running on is currently down? Anything I have to watch out for?

Thx,

Martin

on a workingnode, in /etc/pve move the .conf file under a working node...
the (stopped) vm will be instantly moved to the working node
if the cluster has quorum, the vm should start there
Marco

Cool. Thanks for that info. This is what I had hoped for that it's just possible to manage without much fuss...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!