[SOLVED] no such logical volume pve/data

JohnB17

Feb 21, 2021
Hi, I am clustering Proxmox Virtual Environment, and I ran into this error when trying to get the data on local-lvm of the second server. How ever, I was greeted with this error. The only difference is that this machine is using RAID 0 with two 500GB drives, and I did make the the RAID from within the Proxmox installer. I am using Proxmox Virtual Environment version 7.1-7. The attached picture is the full error.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-14 222730.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-14 222730.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 118
Hi,
Hi, I am clustering Proxmox Virtual Environment, and I ran into this error when trying to get the data on local-lvm of the second server. How ever, I was greeted with this error. The only difference is that this machine is using RAID 0 with two 500GB drives, and I did make the the RAID from within the Proxmox installer. I am using Proxmox Virtual Environment version 7.1-7. The attached picture is the full error.
If I'm not wrong that means that you set up a ZFS system on the second server. Check the outputs of lvs and zfs list, and if that is indeed the case, you want to add the ZFS storage on the second server Datacenter > Storage > Add > ZFS while restricting the nodes to the second node. And then edit the local-lvm storage on the first node and restrict the nodes to the first node.

Hi,

If I'm not wrong that means that you set up a ZFS system on the second server. Check the outputs of lvs and zfs list, and if that is indeed the case, you want to add the ZFS storage on the second server Datacenter > Storage > Add > ZFS while restricting the nodes to the second node. And then edit the local-lvm storage on the first node and restrict the nodes to the first node.
Output of both commands:
Code:
root@pve2:~# lvs
root@pve2:~# zfs list
NAME               USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rpool             1.22G   898G      104K  /rpool
rpool/ROOT        1.22G   898G       96K  /rpool/ROOT
rpool/ROOT/pve-1  1.22G   898G     1.22G  /
rpool/data          96K   898G       96K  /rpool/data
root@pve2:~#

I know it is zfs, but shouldn't there be something in the output of lvs?
Also, when I try adding the zfs pool, (in Datacenter > Storage > Add > ZFS) it claims there are no storage pool, and it doesn't look like I can manually specify.
Should I just use it without raid and just go for ext4?

Last edited:
Output of both commands:
Code:
root@pve2:~# lvs
root@pve2:~# zfs list
NAME               USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rpool             1.22G   898G      104K  /rpool
rpool/ROOT        1.22G   898G       96K  /rpool/ROOT
rpool/ROOT/pve-1  1.22G   898G     1.22G  /
rpool/data          96K   898G       96K  /rpool/data
root@pve2:~#

I know it is zfs, but shouldn't there be something in the output of lvs?
Not if no LVM is set up. ZFS virtual block devices are completely independent from LVM logcial volumes.

Also, when I try adding the zfs pool, (in Datacenter > Storage > Add > ZFS) it claims there are no storage pool, and it doesn't look like I can manually specify.
You need to access the web interface from the node with the pool (it's a missing feature and unfortunately not very high priority).

Should I just use it without raid and just go for ext4?
In general, it's easier to have similar configuration on all nodes in the cluster, but most things can be done with specifying a (target) storage. An exception is migrating containers where there is no --targetstorage option yet.

I was able to make it leave the cluster, then the zfs pools appeared, which is the one I need?1639595379629.png

Nevermind, I found an article explaining the question I just asked. Marking as solved.

Could you link to the article... Would be useful.
I don't remember which article, but what you need to do is configure lvm for only the nodes that are using it (on the node that you start the cluster on), next go to the next node and make a note of the storage configuration, and when you join it to the cluster you need to manually add it for that node.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!