No RAID on boot drive, backup to USB?

Joshua M

Feb 13, 2024
I'm new to proxmox and I've installed it onto a machine with only one drive for boot (small SSD) and then separate storage disks.

I was wondering if there is an easy way to backup the current set-up to a USB disk so that it boots up proxmox exactly the same in case of boot disk failure?

I'm new to proxmox and I've installed it onto a machine with only one drive for boot (small SSD) and then separate storage disks.

I was wondering if there is an easy way to backup the current set-up to a USB disk so that it boots up proxmox exactly the same in case of boot disk failure?
No, nothing official yet. You best bet would be to set up a raid1 if you fear downtime, data-loss or unnecessary additional work.

Reactions: Joshua M
A.) have a raid1 so you don't have to restore your PVE in the first place in case of a failing disk. That combined with a backup of the data like ISOs (so backing up the "/var/lib/vz" folder) or your "local" storage as well as backing up the config files by making a backup of the "/etc" folder as well as the /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db. And backing up everything else you maybe individualized. You then reinstall PVE and try to reuse some of those backupped stuff.
B.) you create a script to fully deploy and configure PVE. In case you then lose your single system disk, all you have to do is to run that script again to get a new working installation.

There is no official way to backup/restore the PVE host yet.

Reactions: Joshua M

I'll give you my example with our Dell servers (from the Dell T150).

The system (vmware, proxmox) is installed on the Dell BOSS-S1 card. Hardware RAID-1 SSD M2 240GB or 480GB.

For the rest we use HDD and SSD disks in the classic way for the datastore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!