no pve-headers virtual package

Aug 30, 2009
London, UK
i run r1soft/idera on my proxmox boxes to backup the settings of the HV and openvz vm's where and if i run them (KVM vm's are excluded from HV backup and done within the vm itself)

now on initial setup i have to install the pve-headers package that matches the version of the running kernel for r1soft to be able to build the kernel module to install.

now this is fine for a first install for example i can just do:
Code:
apt-get install pve-headers-2.6.32-19-pve

however if there is a kernel update i have to remember to manually install the next version of the headers package before i rebuild/update the r1soft kernel module.

please can you make a virtual package for pve-headers that always tracks the latest version of the headers package, like pve-kernel does already so that they will upgrade/install the latest version of headers when the kernel is updated as well.

is there any update to this thread - this creates a lot of frustrations every time you update the kernel and we forget to manually find and update the headers package

We will not create such package.

can i ask why not? i'm pretty certain a virtual package is what only a few lines in the repo packages list?

it appears that you have it for the kernel itself or at least it updates safely with apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get upgrade

the pve-headers packages do not update in the same way and surely it makes more sense to have the headers package update/install the new version when you update your kernel as it makes zero sense to attempt to build any kernel modules against the old kernel headers.

if you wont create a virtual package for pve-headers can you at least fix the upgrade process to automatically update the headers package whenever the kernel gets updated?

the pve-headers packages do not update in the same way and surely it makes more sense to have the headers package update/install the new version when you update your kernel

I am not sure about that. Debian itself also does not have such virtual packages.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!