[SOLVED] No outgoing signals with USB Zigbee Sticks in LXC and VM

PROcrastinator

May 16, 2023
Hallo,

First, I want to say that I am not a programmer or skilled linux user. I use Proxmox on a Intel N5105 System as a Home Server running OMV, Plex, piHole and ioBroker. Everithing ran fine for about a year. Now, I have a very strange problem since a few weeks.
It all started when I ran an update on Proxmox and my LXC containers. After a reboot following the updates, the problem started.

In my ioBroker LXC, the Zigbee stick (ConBee II) could no longer communicate with the decives. It was receiving data from the plugs and Thermometers, but could not send any requests (switch plug on/off ect.). I can also no longer join new decives. With time, more and more devices showed up as disconnected since the Zigbee adapter in iobroker could not ping them. But theys still sent power consumption data of the connected devises.

Since there was a problem with an update of udev which stopped making symlinks of USB decives, I thought this was the problem. But the symlinks are created, the device shows up in the Container and can receive data. But maybe something else from this update causes this problem.

What I tried:

1. Make a new LXC Container and forward the Zigbee stick to this one on a fresh iobroker install. --> Did not work
2. Make a new VM with Homeassistant and connect the Stick. Did not work
3. Buy a new Zigbee Stick and plug it in a fresh LXC container --> Did not work
4. Plug the new stick in the Homassistant VM --> DID WORK I could add new devices and also switch the plugs on and off. Therefore:
5. Make a new VM (Ubuntu Server 22.02), forward the new stick to the VM, install a fresh ioBroker. --> Did not work

For any german speakers, here is the ioBroker Thread about the problem.
Ideally, I would like to continue using my LXC with the old stick, or the new one. But at this point, I am out of ideas where the problem comes from.

my lxc.config looks like this:
Code:
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 189:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2464320-if00 dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2464320-if00 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 166:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /var/lib/lxc/101/devices/ttyACM0 dev/ttyACM0 none bind,optional,create=file

Additional info:

In PVE
Code:
root@Jarvis:~# ls -la /dev/ttyACM*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 166, 0 May 22 15:42 /dev/ttyACM0
root@Jarvis:~# ls -la /dev/serial/by-id/usb-*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 May 22 15:42 /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2464320-if00 -> ../../ttyACM0
root@Jarvis:~# ls -la /dev/serial/by-
ls: cannot access '/dev/serial/by-': No such file or directory
root@Jarvis:~# ls -la /dev/serial/by-path/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 May 22 15:42 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 May 22 15:42 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 May 22 15:42 pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:2:1.0 -> ../../ttyACM0

In LXC
Code:
roland@iobroker:~$ ls -la /dev/ttyACM*
crw-rw-rw- 1 nobody nogroup 166, 0 May 23 16:04 /dev/ttyACM0
roland@iobroker:~$ id iobroker
uid=1000(iobroker) gid=1000(iobroker) groups=1000(iobroker),5(tty),20(dialout),29(audio),44(video)

I can provide more info but I do not know what is helpfull in this case. I highly appreciate any help as I am triyng to fix this for 3 weeks now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!