No network after PCIe NVM disk plug

albertfa

Jul 6, 2020
I've got a NVMe disk in a PCIe support. After plug and reboot system starts but without no network. IP is assigned, but the lights on the adapter were out... Any idea? I'm running pve 5.4.73.
Thanks in advance!

The name of the network device, in modern Linux systems (like the Debian underneath Proxmox) is based on its PCI ID. Adding an additional PCI device can cause some of the IDs of the other devices to shift by one. This can change the name of your network devices and cause it to be unconfigured and therefore not enabled.

Thanks for the answer. I will check this, but the LAN is not a PCI device is the motherboard one... I think they have different ID

Most onboard devices are also PCI(e) and therefore subject to this issue. Use journalctl -b 0 | grep renamed to check for a kernel message about renaming network devices (renamed from eth0, eth1, etc., not veth...). Then change /etc/network/interfaces to use the new name, which probably only differs in one digit from the old name in that configuration file.

Reactions: hapklaar
Hi, I'm again working on this. This is the output of
Code:
 journalctl -b 0 | grep renamed
according to your words the LAN has been renamed to eth0, as far as I can see the old name is enp2s0... Am I right?
Code:
Oct 24 19:32:38 pve kernel: r8169 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: renamed from eth0
This is a cat from interfaces:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp2s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.84/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge_ports enp2s0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

Thanks again for your help !!

Hi, I'm again working on this. This is the output of
Code:
 journalctl -b 0 | grep renamed
according to your words the LAN has been renamed to eth0, as far as I can see the old name is enp2s0... Am I right?
Code:
Oct 24 19:32:38 pve kernel: r8169 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: renamed from eth0
Actually, the other way around: a network device was renamed to enp2s0, which is the name that will show up in ip a and needs to be used in /etc/network/interfaces. My guess is that the old name, used in /etc/network/interfaces, was enp1s0?

Hello, I was wrong, :) Sorry ! The copied text was the old one, previous to the PCI change. When I realize my mistake and repeated your suggestion, everything comes on the way. As you said, the old LAN adapter mutated the ID, once included in the networks everything goes as it has to go.
Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:
Most onboard devices are also PCI(e) and therefore subject to this issue. Use journalctl -b 0 | grep renamed to check for a kernel message about renaming network devices (renamed from eth0, eth1, etc., not veth...). Then change /etc/network/interfaces to use the new name, which probably only differs in one digit from the old name in that configuration file.
This helped me tremendously ;)

This helped me triple tremendously when I added an NVMe drive to my setup.

My eth0 had gone from being enp1s0 to enp2s0.

I just had to rename it in two places in the /etc/network/interfaces file and restart networking with systemctl restart networking.service and I was back in business.

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!