No hard disk found

Mar 6, 2020
So I have a dell poweredge r610 I got off ebay for $120: 2x Xeon X5560, 12gb ram and a 1tb SAS (tho ima upgrade pretty soon) Problem is when I run the pve live usb installer I get no hard disk found, apparently it's not detecting the drive, how can I fix that?

Hi.
Maybe your server have raid controller, which one should be configured before installing proxmox!?

I think this problem may be about the raid controller..also you can check bios setting of server.

If you are having a RAID-controller in place, you can't setup that during the Proxmox-Setup.
When you boot the server, it should display a message about "PERC RAID Controller BIOS" right after the POST of the main BIOS.
Typically you need to hit CTRL-H or CRTL-R to enter the bios.
If you are only having one disk, set it up as a RAID0 (individual disk) or pass the disk through the controller.
You then should be able to see it in Proxmox installer.

So after checking the bios settings, was able to successfully set up a RAID 0. I ran the live usb, selected the proxmox installer failed to make it to the gui install and just gave this error:
Code:
No boot device available.
Please ensure compatible bootable media is available.
Use the system setup program to change the boot mode as needed.
Now the flash drive won't boot at all, would a live cd be better perhaps something that might help with the RAID 0 config or no, thoughts?

Probably the RAID device is not primary boot device which has no OS installed. Hence it can't be booted and you get the message...
Try to find an option in the BIOS to adjust boot order (the order of the HDD) making the USB device first.

Typically that can be found in the "boot settings".
Look for HDD boot order or similar.
Perhaps it is the boot-order itself (so not the order of the HDD), where the RAID device got placed before the USB device.

Sorry I’m in boot settings would that be Boot Mode, Boot Sequence or Boot Sequence Retry, and what do I change it to?

Check "Boot sequence"
The first boot device needs to be the USB stick, as on the HDD/disk currently is no OS.

It’s not it only lists:
1. SATA Optical Drive
2. Embedded NIC 1 MBA v6.0.11 Slot 0100
3. Embedded NIC 2 MBA v6.0.11 Slot 0101
4. Hard drive C: (Integrated RAID PERC 6/i Integrated)

So do I just leave those options checked I don’t think any of them point to the USB port, do they?

... In which case you likely have a separate menu where you can prioritize the used disk (currently perc6i) and set the USB disk first.
Good luck

I dont k now. I dont have the particular gear in Front of me.
Go geht a manual from the manufacturer. The options are described in there.

In this case the options you are looking for are.
"Hard disk drive sequence" and "Boot sequence" in "Boot settings" menu

Couldn’t find “Hard disk drive sequence” but I found the other two, still not sure what I need to change to boot into the usb stick?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!