No Email or UI indication of zpool UNAVAIL warning

CmdrDeLiver

Jun 26, 2023
Hello,

I just installed Proxmox VE 8.0.3 on a HP Microserver Gen 8. I had to do some gyrations to prevent the boot volume consuming all available disk as a mirror. It was all pretty straight forward in the end.

I have emails indicating the completion of resilvering from install drive to my raid array drives. However after shutting down, pulling the install drive and restarting, I'm not receiving an alert that the install drive is missing. Nothing in the UI or email indicates any error. Monitoring and Alerts are my primary reasons for installing ProxMox. Is this a configuration issue on my end, a bug, or intended behavior?

Thanks,

Mike

zpool status:
Code:
  pool: rpool
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing or
    invalid.  Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue
    functioning in a degraded state.
action: Replace the device using 'zpool replace'.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-4J
  scan: resilvered 1.32G in 00:01:20 with 0 errors on Mon Jun 26 16:10:15 2023
config:

NAME                                       STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    rpool                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0
      mirror-0                                 DEGRADED     0     0     0
        4533767540699858275                    UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/disk/by-id/usb-HP_iLO_Internal_SD-CARD_000002660A01-0:0-part3
        ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY8YERE-part3  ONLINE       0     0     0
        ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY8Y9JM-part3  ONLINE       0     0     0
        ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY8VE98-part3  ONLINE       0     0     0

Seems there are many posts about this exact same issue. Various patches and workarounds have been made to ensure alerts happen. It's a shame that these aren't part of ProxMox.

Seems there are many posts about this exact same issue. Various patches and workarounds have been made to ensure alerts happen. It's a shame that these aren't part of ProxMox.

You are wrong here!

- The Proxmox team made their own mail send client.
- You can configure the "mail from" address in the GUI, which is needed in some cases, if your own mailserver for example does spoofchecks on logged in users. (Kerio Conmect by default for example)

There are just so many different mailservers and configurations, that i understand why the Proxmox team decided to leave it to you, to configure postfix.

- You literally need ONLY to configure postfix, thats it!
Zfs is already preconfigured, the mail destination is configurable in the GUI either...

And im pretty sure, sooner or later, one of the Proxmox guys will add the postfix config to the GUI either.

Cheers

You are wrong here!

- The Proxmox team made their own mail send client.
- You can configure the "mail from" address in the GUI, which is needed in some cases, if your own mailserver for example does spoofchecks on logged in users. (Kerio Conmect by default for example)

There are just so many different mailservers and configurations, that i understand why the Proxmox team decided to leave it to you, to configure postfix.

- You literally need ONLY to configure postfix, thats it!
Zfs is already preconfigured, the mail destination is configurable in the GUI either...

And im pretty sure, sooner or later, one of the Proxmox guys will add the postfix config to the GUI either.

Cheers
@Ramalama,

As mentioned in the OP, I receive emails for other events. Currently resilvering, scrub, and backup messages are in my box. That might lead one to believe that postfix, my address and the send mail client are all working. The emails I have for resilvering occurred immediately after installing ProxMox.

Still, I don't have any emails regarding "degraded pools" or a big red box in the UI to indicate a problem exists. I'm not alone on this issue. There are messages on the forum going back to Aug 31 2019 that exhibit the exact same issue: "Pool Degraded without an email or UI warning". In most of the posts, they've also received scrub and resilvering emails. Lots of fixes are listed, but none seem to be the cause in this case.

I see everything else operating as expected and have done hours of research to ensure it isn't on my end so I'm asking for help. It seems like it should might very simple to resolve as zed can do it outside of ProxMox. zed is not a complex program and the infrastructure is in place to support it.

Have a great day.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!