No display of CLI proxmox pve

Snatsbats

Mar 7, 2024
So i've successfully configured PCI passthrough of my Nvidia GPU to my VM. now i still want to use the Proxmox Host CLI locally via vga output on the server. of course i cant use the nvidia GPU for this since its been passthrough to the VM. i also cant use the motherboard video output since i have an AMD CPU without Integrated graphics.As a solution i thought installing a second gpu in my second x16 slot to see the vga output of the host. unfortunately i won't get any signal. it seems proxmox selects the first gpu as the primary GPU for output. i didnt passthrough the second card to a VM. i also didnt block the GPU in the Host as this wasnt necessary for passthrough apparently.

this is the output i get from the command 'root@proxmox:~# lspci -k | grep -A 2 -i "VGA" ':

Code:
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 640] (rev a1)

Subsystem: CardExpert Technology GK107 [GeForce GT 640]

Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau

--

06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] (rev a1)

Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti]

Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

Does anyone know how this could be fixed. and if i can change the GPU proxmox uses for cli without affecting the GPU passthrough of my first GPU?

Last edited:
On some machines, you can choose in the bios which gpu is "the first", maybe have a look there.
Another option is to swap the pci slots of the gpus if they're the same.

Oh i forgot to mention, i cant set this in the BIOS. The first slot is x16 with 16x supported. the second slot is 16x but only 4x supported. so i cant swap them.

Oh i forgot to mention, i cant set this in the BIOS. The first slot is x16 with 16x supported. the second slot is 16x but only 4x supported. so i cant swap them.
Sometimes enabling or disabling CSM in the BIOS works. Otherwise, you'll need to switch to a motherboard that does allow selecting the boot PCIe slot or has onboard graphics, or switch to a CPU with integrated graphics, or switch to a primary GPU that can be switch back to the Proxmox host when the VM is not running.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!