Nginx Proxy Manager is able to connect to my domains on the internet, but I cannot reverse proxy into VMs on the same bridge that tracepath 1 hop away

CyborgRider

Feb 25, 2024
I'm quite unsure of what is happening. I've been struggling with this for the last two weeks.
So I've installed proxmox on my home machines. My gaming PC has a GPU passthrough working well enough, and my Windows VM feels like a natural PC with all my USB ports forwarded and everything. I even have a PCI NIC that I passed through to the VM. This leaves the slower ethernet port as my proxmox bridge port.
I do have a cluster set up. I have two more machines that are each smaller than the gaming machine. They each host a few of my VM/CTs including a CT for Nginx Proxy Manager.
I am able to access Nginx Proxy Manager from the internet, as I get the congratulations message on launch of my website address that is not currently directed. I have previously had the same servers setup on my network, and know what the NPM config should look like to pass traffic through on a standard network, however when pasting the same location data in the advanced config, exactly how I was using before but with the IP updated for the VM I can currently access in my browser(From outside the bridge on my windows VM) without issue. I have been using the default vmbr0 for of my networks, as I only have one port on most of my servers. No VLAN, No VNets, no Zones.
I ran tracepath from the CT with NPM pointed at the ip of the server that again, can load in my browser, and it connects in one hop. I run tracert from windows and it also gets 1 hop to the finish line, but somehow, it's able to function on the IP, and not the Domain name. My Domain is going through a cloudflare proxy, so I've been able to access the site url as if I was outside my network, however I have tested the issue persists even if I am outside the network entirely with the proxy disabled. The issue lies somewhere between NPM in a CT in proxmox, and the other proxmox CT and VMs. The most obvious thing in between these points that wasn't there before is Proxmox, but that's not going anywhere any time soon.
What it seems to me is that, the bridge is having some kind of problem with communication even when the firewall is disabled.
Currently, all of the firewalls are turned off on the datacenter, the nodes, and the VM/CTs in question, as I feel I can figure firewalls out much easier once I've finished this issue and have a working baseline to lean back on.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give, I'm new to proxmox with the VMWare Exodus and I've been working on this all day today, non-stop until 4am. I'm going to head to bed for a little while and then check back in to see if anyone has any ideas, or if simply writing it all out and taking a nap will trigger something in my brain.
edit: the 4 hour nap did not trigger anything in the brain. SOS.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!