NFS Server on Proxmox - Terraform

MCSAntunes

May 8, 2023
Hello, everyone! First-time poster here.

I'm looking to share my ZFS pool (mounted on /storage on the host) via NFS/SMB so it can be accessed in my multiple VMs.
After some research, I decided on creating an NFS server within a CT.

As I'm learning Terraform I decided to use it to provision this CT and all my future VMs.

After I run terraform init I get a 403 Permission check failed (mount point type bind is only allowed for root@pam) error. You can find the Terraform files and the complete error message at the end of this post.

I've tried to create a CT without the mountpoint option and it worked fine, so I guess the API token was correctly generated. It was generated for the root@pam user.

I'll use this post as well to ask if there are any better ideas on how to share my storage via NFS/SMB and if there are any guides available.

Thank you very much and let me know if there are any other thing that I can provide that can help you help me.

Code:
terraform {
  required_providers {
    proxmox = {
        source = "telmate/proxmox"
    }
  }
}

provider "proxmox" {
    pm_tls_insecure = true
    pm_api_url = "***"
    pm_api_token_id = "***"
    pm_api_token_secret = "***"
}

resource "proxmox_lxc" "file_server" {
    target_node = "pve"
    hostname = "lxc-file-server"
    ostemplate = "local:vztmpl/ubuntu-22.04-standard_22.04-1_amd64.tar.zst"
    unprivileged = true

ssh_public_keys = file("~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub")

rootfs {
        storage = "local-lvm"
        size = "8G"
    }

mountpoint {
        key = "0"
        slot = 0
        storage = "/storage/share"
        volume = "/storage/share"
        mp = "/mnt/container/share"
        size = "2T"
    }

network {
        name = "eth0"
        bridge = "vmbr0"
        ip = "dhcp"
    }
}

Code:
proxmox_lxc.file_server: Creating...
╷
│ Error: error creating LXC container: 403 Permission check failed (mount point type bind is only allowed for root@pam), error status: {"data":null} (params: {"arch":"amd64","cmode":"tty","console":true,"cores":1,"cpulimit":0,"cpuunits":1024,"features":"","hostname":"lxc-file-server","memory":512,"mp0":"/storage/share,size=2T,backup=0,mp=/mnt/container/share","net0":"ip=dhcp,name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0","onboot":false,"ostemplate":"local:vztmpl/ubuntu-22.04-standard_22.04-1_amd64.tar.zst","password":"qwerty","protection":false,"rootfs":"local-lvm:8","***","start":false,"storage":"local","swap":0,"tags":"","tty":2,"unprivileged":true,"vmid":100})
│
│   with proxmox_lxc.file_server,
│   on main.tf line 16, in resource "proxmox_lxc" "file_server":
│   16: resource "proxmox_lxc" "file_server" {
│
╵

if you really want to share a local mountpoint by nfs i'd go for the nfs server installed on localhost too.

apt install nfs-kernel-server
edit /etc/exports and you are in.

but why not just use the zfs as proxmox storage and create a guest (nfs server) using it (storing the virtual disks there)?

I see many posts here in the forum where people use local disks, mounts, passthrou that I dont understand why. PVE is about virtualization so use it's storage abilities. you win so much and overhead is minimal

if you really want to share a local mountpoint by nfs i'd go for the nfs server installed on localhost too.
I thought about doing this. But I've read that keeping my Proxmox install as clean as possible is a good practice.

but why not just use the zfs as proxmox storage and create a guest (nfs server) using it (storing the virtual disks there)?
Not sure if I understand what you mean here.
Do you suggest using the ZFS storage as a disk for my CT/VM? Would I be able to access and share the whole storage?

Thanks for the reply.

I thought about doing this. But I've read that keeping my Proxmox install as clean as possible is a good practice.

Not sure if I understand what you mean here.
Do you suggest using the ZFS storage as a disk for my CT/VM? Would I be able to access and share the whole storage?

Thanks for the reply.
go to datacenter, define a local storage with your zfs pool, create a vm with a disk on this storage. install nfs in this vm.

any other vm can use this nfs export.
the nfs server is just one of many vms

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!