[SOLVED] NFS ISO's not showing in UI

b3nw

Jul 21, 2017
Hello,

I have a QNAP SAN with a specific folder full of ISO's. I configured this on my proxmox server and the NFS mount shows up, and the ISO's show up on disk on the pve server.

upload_2017-7-23_23-45-16.png

I can also see ISO's when I browse:

upload_2017-7-23_23-46-12.png

Yet when I attempt to create a new VM, and set the ISO:

upload_2017-7-23_23-47-20.png

I am unable to get the ui to show a list of ISOs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am Virtual Environment 5.0-23 // 4.10.15-1-pve

Thanks

we list the isos only from the subdirectory 'template/iso'

you can try to make a softlink to your directory

This was strange. I would expect the iso to just show when you mark it as ISO-repository. It shows in /mnt/pve/iso/ in shell.

When I try to create a symbolic link in /mnt/pve/iso/template/iso, it will not work as our iso-nfs-mounted storage doesn't have write access (and shouldn't have). Also, I assume it would cause confusion with multiple hosts.. Some other way to fix this?

Yeah I'd kinda like to know that too. Odd when it says "solved" in the subject.

Using pvesm I managed to mount an nfs share with my isos, under /mnt/template/iso:

192.168.1.3:/volume2/public/cifs-repo 7747527296 2409983488 5337425024 32% /mnt/template/iso

ls of this folder shows the isos present. In the gui I can select it, but still, no files showing up.

How can it be so complicated, it should be a matter of mount .. boom.

Last edited:
Reactions: kolonuk
ls of this folder shows the isos present. In the gui I can select it, but still, no files showing up.
the share share itself has to have a 'template/iso' directory on it

Thanks. After hours of trial and error, here is finally a working example of mounting and making available an ISO repo:

Assuming the ISO folder is stored on an NFS server like this:
server: 192.168.1.3
path to the iso folder: /volume2/public/templates/iso
folder exported by nfs: /volume2/public
You can call it anything, I choose iso-repo

root@pve1:~# pvesm add nfs iso-repo --server 192.168.1.3 --path /mnt/templates/iso --export /volume2/public

I cannot thank you enough for this post -- you saved me hours of struggle ... Have a new FreeNas BOx with nfs share ... could not see the ISO's, even though they had been copied there with no errors...

I could find nothing in the documentation .... is it there ???

Once more , this amazing community saves the day !

Reactions: rcd
Since I just wasted like an hour trying to figure this out, figured I might as well post.

I am running freenas 9.10, and like everyone else, was having problems. I could access either a CIFS or NFS share via an fstab command, but that command would have to be made to every single /etc/fstab file on each node of the cluster.

when I made used the add Storage->NFS option from the gui, the default path was incorrect (/mnt/pve/<storage_ID>, and while the ISO's would mount to the default folder path (shown in gui), they were not visible from the gui whenever I tried to make a new container or VM (ISO).

pvesm scan nfs 10.10.10.2 #(freenas address)
/mnt/Darkside/config/ISO 10.10.10.14,10.10.10.13,10.10.10.12,10.10.10.11 #(allowed hosts in NFS share configuration)

#add in the storage with correct content type
pvesm add nfs NFS-iso --server 10.10.10.2 --path /var/lib/vz/template/iso/ --export /mnt/Darkside/config/ISO --content images,iso

#verify storage was added:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

nfs: NFS-iso
export /mnt/Darkside/config/ISO
path /var/lib/vz/template/iso/
server 10.10.10.2
content images,iso

Now, from the gui, the iso files will show up as "local" for all nodes in the cluster.

just flight testing ProxMox, coming from KVM and this is something that blows my mind. how is this a thing? a network store of iso images is normal and having to jump through seemingly pointless configuration hoops like this just to see a simple mount's contents in the GUI is kinda nuts. is there no simpler way to accomplish this? this should be a no-brainer.

Reactions: bjzy
just flight testing ProxMox, coming from KVM and this is something that blows my mind. how is this a thing? a network store of iso images is normal and having to jump through seemingly pointless configuration hoops like this just to see a simple mount's contents in the GUI is kinda nuts. is there no simpler way to accomplish this? this should be a no-brainer.
Same :confused:. This is crazy. Instead of having an enjoyable first experience with Proxmox (coming from vSphere), I'm fighting to get my personal ISOs recognized. I still don't have a VM up as I'm now downloading a plain ISO from somewhere on the internet and it's taking forever.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!