NFS clarification – LXC container exporting an NFS share to other LXC containers

MikeC

Renowned Member
Jan 11, 2016
Bay Area, California
Hello, all. I have to share an NFS dir from one host (server1) to three other hosts (server2-4).
I've read many different threads here on this, and I'd like some clarification.

1) Firstly, Can an LXC container share an NFS mount point to other lxc containers on the same node?

2) If not, what other options are there?

Due to the way the software is designed, there is no getting around sharing an NFS volume. Additionally, server1 is the only one of the four that has write access. The others (server2-4) are ro consumers of the data on the share. On bare-metal versions of this architecture, server1 hosts the share point and the other three mount it to consume the data.

Would I have to host the share on the node itself? If so, would there be any penalty in I/O, given that the data is, in effect, already stored somewhere on the node to begin with? If I can do that, would I be able to share that directory r/w with server1 and r/o with the other containers?

Thanks.

Well, no takers yet. :/

What I've done is to create a VM for the host that needs to export the NFS share, and left the consumers as LXC containers. That works fine.

I would like some confirmation under which circumstances that LXC containers cannot export NFS. I used to be able to in earlier versions of proxmox, but I have the feeling that those were all based on ZFS, whereas my current 5.x proxmox are use ext4 as the underlying filesystem. Is that the key?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!