newbie on proxmox

N

npereira

Hi,

I just installed proxmox and wanted to test it as I'm currently using VMware and VirtualBox. I was told and sough on HAK5 that this was a better solution, yet, im confused.

installed the PVE and all is good.

I wanted to setup my first VM on it by installing Ubuntu Server 10.04 64 bit with the ISO i uploaded to PVE.

Yet PVE is asking for a template. I dont really understand the implication of a template per say, but i went to the wiki and only found a ubuntu 8.04 template...

I need this first VM to be 10.04 as I currently have a 10.04 LTS server I wish to migrate to a VM.

Some of the OPENVZ templates I sough where only for minimal installs, or ALMP's, which is not what I want, plus, I will also need to setup a Ubuntu desktop 64bit later on when I have this done.

Can someone shed some light on this?

P.S.: I tried uploading a ubuntu 10.04 64 bit from the OPENVZ yet it states that it's not recognized as a proper template....

Thanks for the help.

but can I still install packages? What about ubuntu desktop ?

do you have a 32bit version of that ubuntu 10.04?

Where can I get the latest ubuntu 10.10 templates in both 32 and 64 bit of both server and desktop?

I also need to install Trixbox but that's a ISO, so I cannot install ISO based o/s?

I can't select it...

My board is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L and my processor is a Intel E2180

Im thinking of swapping my E2180 for a E6500 for 90$CND which has VT-x technology. Would that allow me to use KVM? Or I shell out 170$ to go up to the Q8400 quad core...

Last edited by a moderator:
Im thinking of swapping my E2180 for a E6500 for 90$CND which has VT-x technology. Would that allow me to use KVM? Or I shell out 170$ to go up to the Q8400 quad core...
Hi,
i'm use only amd-cpus (so i can use ECC-Ram with the right mainboard) so i can't give you a suggestion.

Perhaps an intel-user can give you an recommendation.

Udo

yes, the E6500 has VT (see http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42805)
but I do not know if your main board support this.

generally speaking: you should not use desktop components for servers. As Udo mentioned you should use ECC memory, and in the case of Intel only Xeon CPU´s support ECC memory.
A good and relatively cheap: Single socket Intel Entry Level Server boards with a X3xx Xeon CPU´s, ECC memory.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!