[SOLVED] (Newbie) Need Help With VLANs

Upstage2070

Nov 21, 2023
Hi,

I'm fairly new to Proxmox VE, and been wanting to use Tailscale for external access to my home services. I currently have VLANs setup on my network, which is working fine. I wanted to put Tailscale on a new Proxmox VM that is under a VLAN seperate from the rest of the other VMs. I wanted to do this so I can make services for friends and family, and out of abundance of caution, want to separate it completely via VLAN.

However, I am having issues with getting VLANs to work in Proxmox VE. I followed a bunch of tutorials online, and did the exact steps, but it doesn't seem to work. Specifically, when I start my VM, log in, and run ip a it does not seem to be assigned any IP addresses (see screenshot ip-a-results.jpg), and cannot connect to the internet. Only way it gets IP and internet connection is when I disable the VLAN aware tickbox, which doesn't help since I want it to be on a different subnet.

I also made sure I clicked Apply changes when updating the network settings, and reboot the host machine that Proxmox is installed on, but still no joy. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong and would like some advice on how to get this up and running.

I attached some screenshots of my current network settings in Proxmox VE. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• bridge-settings.jpg
    bridge-settings.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 31
  • node-network.jpg
    node-network.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 30
  • vlan-settings.jpg
    vlan-settings.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 30
  • VM-network-settings.jpg
    VM-network-settings.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 27
  • ip-a-results.jpg
    ip-a-results.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 28
Without a router serving your VLANs subnet there will be no DHCP server to ask for an IP/gateway/DNS. And no gateway to route between your VLAN and the internet.
So you will have to add a router or otherwise clients that are part of that vlan/subnet will only able to access other clients that are part of that vlan/subnet too.

I like to run an OPNsense VM to route between the internet, my LAN and the various VLANs.

Last edited:
Without a router serving your VLANs subnet there will be no DHCP server to ask for an IP/gateway/DNS. And no gateway to route between your VLAN and the internet.
So you will have to add a router or otherwise clients that are part of that vlan/subnet will only able to access other clients that are part of that vlan/subnet too.

I like to run an OPNsense VM to route between the internet, my LAN and the various VLANs.
I currently have OPNSense as my router on a physical box. Do I have to add some additional settings in there as well? Or do I need another OPNSense setup as a VM? Everything on my network works as expected regarding VLAN. I have several IoT devices on one VLAN and personal devices on another, with no issues, managed by the router. Just having issues with Proxmox.

I tried to add the VLANs gateway, but Proxmox said I am already using one from the default first network.

I tried to add the VLANs gateway, but Proxmox said I am already using one from the default first network.
You can only have one default gateway per OS.

I currently have OPNSense as my router on a physical box. Do I have to add some additional settings in there as well? Or do I need another OPNSense setup as a VM? Everything on my network works as expected regarding VLAN. I have several IoT devices on one VLAN and personal devices on another, with no issues, managed by the router. Just having issues with Proxmox.
So you OPNsense already got its VLAN 105 and subnet configured and is acting as a router and DHCP server for it?
The port of your switch your PVE host is connected to is properly configured for tagged VLANID 105?
Then it should work with the virtio NIC attached to vmbr0 and VLAN tag of the virtio NIC set to 105.

The IP you set for your vmbr0.105 is only for your PVE host, not for guests. Doesn't make much sense to use 192.168.105.0 there as this is the IP you will reach the server for SSH/webUI.

The port of your switch your PVE host is connected to is properly configured for tagged VLANID 105?

That was it lol. I forgot to add the port that the host was connected to on the VLAN 105. After I did so, I rebooted the VM and ran the ip a again, and it showed a 105 on the third octet. So looks like that was it. Thank you very much for your help!

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!