New ZFS 3.4 install booting to grub rescue prompt

c0mputerking

Oct 5, 2011
Hello all i am trying to get proxmox 3.4 installed using ZRAID-1 on my supermicro x10sl7-f with onboard sli 2309 disk controller flashed to IT mode for use with zfs. The install seems to go well, but reboot always dumps me to

error: couldn't find a necessary member device of multi-device filesystem
entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

If i do "ls" i get the below list which i think is my three drives or is it only one?

(hd0) (hd0,gpt3) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1)

NOTE I have done a normal ext3 install and it boots up fine, a gets me to the proxmox login screen

I have tried a grub repair a couple of following this post
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/21306-Grub2-recovery-on-ZFS-Proxmox-VE-3-4

all commands seems to run without error but does system still boots to grub rescue>

As always thanks in advance for any and all of your help

I have - today - the exact problem too. I tried too, the grub repair as described in https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/21...Proxmox-VE- 3-4 (the same of the previous post), and all the commands go, but again dont' solve the problem.

It's quite strange, exactly the same problem in the same day.

error: unknown file system
entering rescue mode
grub rescue>ls
(hd0) (hd0,gpt3) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1) ...

Thanx in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Something else to note, i have done a zfs RAID1 install and it works, However this machine has 3 SAS drives and I want to use them all argh. I NEED to get the RAIDZ-1 working with Proxmox.

Ok i have tried a bunch of installs (my desired install would be zfs raidz1 ) with the above mentioned board and the only configuration i can get to boot is zfs raid1 it works with 2 or 3 drives i cannot get any other configurations to work including zfs raid0 with only 2 drives ... I do not get a blinking cursor, but instead grub errors about missing members or unknown devices.

I found this maybe related but pretty vague not sure if my motherboard is in the list of some motherboards? :)
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS

• Symptoms: stuck at boot with an blinking prompt.
  • Reason: If you ZFS raid it could happen that your mainboard does not initial all your disks correctly and Grub will wait for all RAID disk members - and fails. It can happen with more than 2 disks in ZFS RAID configuration - we saw this on some boards with ZFS RAID-0/RAID-10

I could really use some help here

Ok i have made some headway on my own through slow and painful experimentation. So far i have determined that this board/SAS controller will only works correctly (with raidz) in IR mode. I tried to flash IT (JBOD) firmware as i did not want LSI raid functionality as i am going to be using zfs for that.

However during the initialization phase of the onboard SAS controller flashed with IT mode only 1 of my 3 drives showed in the list. I am going to submit a trouble ticket to Supermicro regarding this as i think it may have something to do with the issue. However all three drives were present inside the SAS controller configuration and the OS also sees all three drives sda sdb and sdc so i figured i was ok .... WRONG. The proxmox installer boots and installs fine but alway hits grub error on reboot.

I flashed the controller back to IR mode and now everything is working, however i am wondering if i will encounter problems down the road? the drives still show up in proxmox as sda sdb and sdc so maybe i don't really need IT mode just seemed like it might be cleaner/faster? Anyways we will see if supermicro/LSI have anything to contribute

Got the same issue today with PVE 4.4 and an LSI 3008 HBA.

Any solution?
Removing the controller and directly attach disks to the onboard SATA controller solve the issue but the integrated controller is much slower than this HBA

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!