New to Proxmox : some questions...

XZed

Sep 20, 2009
Hello,

I hope posting to the good forum part.

I've read many times all the proxmox articles and openvz articles and still need answers to some questions...

* For the classic install : add a proxmox server in a LAN (with only 1 network range), in order to easily add more (virtual) servers.

Do i simply need to choose bridge ethernet (veth) ?

The wiki advice NAT with different ranges, but don't see the interest in my case, no ?

Which setup types can justify the use of NAT (venet) ?

* Then, i don't find the answer to the most basic question lol ! As a new virtualization user, i can't imagine to use only one physical ethernet card for multiple VM ! And, in any documentation, i read something about it ! I understand that, depending on the bandwith usage, a few servers can user the same physical ethernet card, but for a "proper" install, isn't necessary to have a physical ethernet card for each VM ??

Sorry if the question seems obvious for everyone, but can't imagine that anyone had asked it before lol !!!

Do i need a physical ethernet card for proxmox itself and, then, extra physical cards for each extra VM ?

* Can't find in the wiki more details about why use this disk/network driver, or that one, etc...

* At least, the wiki hardly recommend to use OpenVZ...

For windows guests, i think only KVM is possible, isn't it ?

I tried to install a linux guest (Debian) using preloaded templates and was faced to a strange problem : each modification i made about fqdn hostname was changed after each reboot with values defined on proxmox for this VM !!! Had i dream lol ?

Once more, thank you very much for your answers,

Sincerely,

XZed

Hello,

I hope posting to the good forum part.

I've read many times all the proxmox articles and openvz articles and still need answers to some questions...

* For the classic install : add a proxmox server in a LAN (with only 1 network range), in order to easily add more (virtual) servers.

Do i simply need to choose bridge ethernet (veth) ?

The wiki advice NAT with different ranges, but don't see the interest in my case, no ?

Which setup types can justify the use of NAT (venet) ?

* Then, i don't find the answer to the most basic question lol ! As a new virtualization user, i can't imagine to use only one physical ethernet card for multiple VM ! And, in any documentation, i read something about it ! I understand that, depending on the bandwith usage, a few servers can user the same physical ethernet card, but for a "proper" install, isn't necessary to have a physical ethernet card for each VM ??

Sorry if the question seems obvious for everyone, but can't imagine that anyone had asked it before lol !!!

Do i need a physical ethernet card for proxmox itself and, then, extra physical cards for each extra VM ?

* Can't find in the wiki more details about why use this disk/network driver, or that one, etc...

* At least, the wiki hardly recommend to use OpenVZ...

For windows guests, i think only KVM is possible, isn't it ?

I tried to install a linux guest (Debian) using preloaded templates and was faced to a strange problem : each modification i made about fqdn hostname was changed after each reboot with values defined on proxmox for this VM !!! Had i dream lol ?

Once more, thank you very much for your answers,

Sincerely,

XZed

use Venet unless you have a specific need for veth, it will be much simpler to manage for your VM's and provide less headaches

you do not need multiple ethernet cards for more than 1 VM although it is reccomended you have more than one particularly if some of your VM's are network intensive for a production environment proxmox actually reccomends 2 NIC's, for most use cases 1 NIC will work fine (for example a load of standard webserver containers not serving huge amounts.)

openvz is the protocol proxmox is using, as it is kernel paravirtualisation all containers share the kernel and have seperate working files. this said the windows kernel is a totally different thing to a linux kernel therefore windows must be virtualised in full kvm so that you can run the windows kernel.

for hostname, this is not a bug in the standard sense, someone with more knowledge than me will be able to explain better but i think its purely due to the fact of the way proxmox stores the hostname data. and there is no known way around this that i can see

for hostname, this is not a bug in the standard sense, someone with more knowledge than me will be able to explain better but i think its purely due to the fact of the way proxmox stores the hostname data. and there is no known way around this that i can see

Yes, if you use OpenVZ, the host name is defined on the Proxmox VE web interface and not inside the guest.

So if you need to change the host name, do it on the Proxmox VE web interface.

use Venet unless you have a specific need for veth, it will be much simpler to manage for your VM's and provide less headaches

you do not need multiple ethernet cards for more than 1 VM although it is reccomended you have more than one particularly if some of your VM's are network intensive for a production environment proxmox actually reccomends 2 NIC's, for most use cases 1 NIC will work fine (for example a load of standard webserver containers not serving huge amounts.)

openvz is the protocol proxmox is using, as it is kernel paravirtualisation all containers share the kernel and have seperate working files. this said the windows kernel is a totally different thing to a linux kernel therefore windows must be virtualised in full kvm so that you can run the windows kernel.

Hello,

Thank you for your answers !

Sorry, but i saw that i hadn't correctly used the terms venet & veth, and of course in case of OpenVZ CT, i use venet.

But i was talinkg about KVM VE, for which, two modes are suggested :

Bridge & NAT (User Mode Network).

But as you said, unless of a specific need, bridge must be used in a simple LAN.

I understand the proxmox recommandations but, as you said, i tested and saw that all is working right with only 1 NIC.

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

Yes, if you use OpenVZ, the host name is defined on the Proxmox VE web interface and not inside the guest.

So if you need to change the host name, do it on the Proxmox VE web interface.
Hello,

OK, i understand, so i wasn't dreaming :D about "modified hostname".

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!