New to Proxmox - Need help/advice

Vague

Apr 9, 2024
I'm brand new to servers, sorry if I ask any obvious questions.

I'm setting up a media server and I decided to go with Proxmox. From what I read online and on this sub, I'm "Future-proofing" myself with this decision. However, I'm finding it difficult to implement my plan. It makes sense in my head and on paper, but I'm having trouble understanding all the concepts. I made the diagram to help visualize the end goal. Please critique if something looks off or is unnecessary. Here is what I was able to get done so far after watching 6+ hours of videos and reading a bunch of help posts here;
  1. Proxmox installed
  2. I got my drives setup - Boot SSD / Backup HDD / 2x HDDs in ZFS Mirror
  3. I got my first VM working
  4. I created a Jellyfin container using auto script - https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/ - I did not set up anything on Jellyfin yet
Here are things I'm not understanding / need help with;

1. How do I setup a shared folder on my network between my main PC and the server? I'd like it to be the ZFS Pool. The plan is to download the torrents (legal of course) on my main PC, transfer to shared folder and import to bittorrent container.

1.a. I feel like there is a better way - any ideas are appreciated.

2.a. The whole reason for the shared folder is that I have an external WD drive that has about 1.5TB of media on it already that I want to transfer to the ZFS Pool. I figure this is a good way?

2. I don't understand how to mount the ZFS pool so bittorrent and Jellyfin can access the saved media - Seeding and streaming.

3. Can I bind a VPN to bittorrent container? I have expressVPN - willing to switch to another paid VPN if needed.

4. How can I remote access to the server from my laptop? I assume I need a VPN to do this as I need to connect to a VPN when traveling for work in order to remote in. Again, willing to switch to a VPN that works with container and remote access.

I know that I can set all of this up in the Linux Mint VM I have and save myself the work but I really want to learn how to do things like this as I know I will have future projects that wont be so simple.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!