New to Proxmox - Failed networking

liamstears

Oct 20, 2022
I am new to proxmox and a linux noob so I really hope someone can help me here

I have recently decided to switch from a debian based server (intel NUC) with home assistant installed to a proxmox server for better compatibility with home assistant

I have home assistant installed (using this guide: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/installing-home-assistant-os-using-proxmox-7/201835) as a VM and also have a separate Alpine linux container to run plex/samba/frigate to fulfil my other home "server" needs

Everything seems to work really well, everything working after a reboot, and the whole system running for a few days until I came home today to having no network connection. Tried running some pings both google and to my router but nothing it was dead. My only fix was to reboot the system.

This cannot happen. I need rock stead reliability which was one of my reasons coming over to proxmox.

So my questions:
Why did this happen? What can I do to fix it? I am a complete linux noob so whatever you need me to supply to answer these questions just ask and I'll post it up here asap

Also I've noticed a message when looking at proxmox over HDMI on my NUC saying "cgroup setting release_agent not allowed" What is this and what does it mean?

Sorry for being a total noob but I'm here not only for answers/a fix but also want to learn

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Just had a look at my camera recordings to get an idea of what time my system went down then had a look at /var/log/syslog

The only thing I can see around the time it went down is "proxmox pvestatd[969]: auth key pair too old, rotating.."

Then about 40 minutes later in /var/log/kern.log I see:
"
vmbr0: port 2(tap100i0) entered disabled state
vmbr0: port 1(enx8cae4cdd12c3) entered disabled state
device fwpr101p0 left promiscuous mode
"

Hope this helps...

As a hacky quick fix I've added a crontab to run a script which pings my router every minute and if it fails it reboots the NUC. This will work and keep me going for now but really need to find out why my networking is dying and how to fix it properly...

I am having the same problem. How has nobody given help on this topic in about a year? Did you end up figuring out what the problem was? I need help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!