New setup proxmox 7.4 : choice of file system and raid software (2+4xNVME SSD).

Valombre

Nov 16, 2023
Hi,
I have to transform a Windows 2019 hyper-V server into proxmox 7.4 and check that the performance and reliability are there.
I need configuration advice to obtain a stable, reliable installation over time with the possibility of updating from version 7.4 to 8.x

Here is the hardware:
192 GB Ram
2x Xeons
2x NVME SSD 894.25 GB
4x NVME SSD 3840 GB
2x 10Gbits network interfaces

For reliability, raid software should be favored

If the results are good, a second machine of the same type will be available to do replication/redundancy, I know that for HA you need at least 3 machines which is not in the program for the moment.

I know how to configure Debian/raid software, and I have a little experience with zfs via XigmaNAS

Thank you in advance for your initial installation/configuration advice for my system and drives.
Regards,

If the results are good, a second machine of the same type will be available to do replication/redundancy, I know that for HA you need at least 3 machines which is not in the program for the moment.
The third one could be a super cheap machine like a thin client, SBC, VM on a NAS, just acting as a qdevice doing the third vote, in case you want ZFS replication. Ceph indeed would need at least 3 full servers.

2x NVME SSD 894.25 GB
4x NVME SSD 3840 GB
Consumer or Enterprise? Performance won't be great when using ZFS or ceph with consumer SSDs.

For reliability, raid software should be favored
If you want to use the PVE installer your only options then would be ZFS or btrfs. And keep in mind that btrfs is not that mature (stuff like raid5 should be avoided) and also just recently added to PVE as a feature preview.
If you want mdraid or LVM mirror you would need to use the Debian installer and later install PVE on top of Debian.

Consumer or Enterprise? Performance won't be great when using ZFS or ceph with consumer SSDs.
they are enterprise NVME Samsung PM9A3 U2.
If you want to use the PVE installer your only options then would be ZFS or btrfs.
I will prefer keep it simple, i saw in documentation zfs raid10 is possible.
then for installation may be :
zfs R1 : 2x NVME SSD 894.25 GB system and some storage (isos etc ..)
zfs R10 : 4x NVME SSD 3840 GB for storage

Thanks for your time and advice ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!