New Proxmox VE Kernels 2.6.24 and 2.6.32, including KVM 0.12.4 and gPXE

Hi everybody,

Just upgraded to Kernel 2.6.32-2 and KVM 0.12.4 :
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade (for new kernel)
reboot

All went fine. I just had to re-activate one of my Win 2008 server (it saw hardware changes), without problem.

I just noticed in the release notes the presence of Seabios. So Seabios is now replacing Bochs for newer KVM releases ?

Alain

Last edited:
I also noticed (see my previous post), that ksmd, which was previously eating 50-60% of CPU is now hardly seen in top (less than 0.1%). Was there a change in this respect in the new kernel ?

Alain

P.S (for Ibrahim) : do you use new kernels 2.6.24 or 2.6.32 ? If you are new to proxmox, you have probably installed 1.5 with kernel 2.6.18. In this case, I think you should create your own thread, this one is for new kernels 2.6.24 and 2.6.32.
Further, you give almost no information, your attachment does not work, so it will be difficult to give any help. Which configuration do you use (pveversion -v). Which display problem do you see, on the host, or on the guest (which kind of guest, linux, windows...).

Hi!

I upgraded for testing one of my cluster node running 1.5. The kernel was not upgraded? It was not in the list of package uploaded.

pveversion -v after upgrade and reboot:

pve-manager: 1.5-9 (pve-manager/1.5/4728)
running kernel: 2.6.24-10-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.18: 1.5-5
pve-kernel-2.6.24-10-pve: 2.6.24-21
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-14
pve-firmware: 1.0-5
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-13
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve11
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18: 0.9.1-5

ok thanks, I see my error. I upgraded only the kernel to 2.6.24 not proxmox-ve-2.6.24 when a decided to switch to 2.6.24.

The system is working as this for a long time without apparent problem. What are the theorical problems to run a mixed config as this?

you cannot run 'pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18 0.9.1-5' on a 2.6.24 kernel.

Hello,
I am a little confused about which kernels to best use in my situation. I have an Intel Flex modular server with SAN, will run KVM VM's on the SAN and want to be able to do live migration for KVM machines form one compute module to another. I will will also have OpenVZ VM's running on the machines (local storage) and will be doing live migration to external machines. Which kernel would be best to run on the compute modules and external servers?

Hi,

Where i can find ISO with Released 17.05.2010.

Because its hard to do an apt-get update with Atheros nic.

in fine

Do you have hack for download the update with Released 17.05.2010 and install it via USB device.

Regards,

Tes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!