New Import Wizard Available for Migrating VMware ESXi Based Virtual Machines

i reckon the problem,

Maybe see if you can stop both services (as mentioned earlier in the topic) wait a while and start them again? I've often found that things "suddenly" fix themselves with VMWare after a few reboots.

I think you still have to stop the VM first for a live import. The difference is the live import will automatically power on the VM right away soon after it starts so you don't have to wait for the transfer to finish. So it's mostly live, but not 100%....
Yes I think the "live import" option is a bit misleading. As others have already pointed out, it would be very helpful if the wizard would check to see if the VM is running and/or has snapshots before trying to import it. It would also be very useful for the VM browser to show the operational status of the VM's, maybe by changing the color of the text. Running VM's could be shown as green and perhaps VM's with snapshots could be shown as red? Something like this:

vmimport.png

No lucky here

VMWare ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 14320388)

Got error:

create full clone of drive (esxi1:ha-datacenter/datastore1/Debian1/Debian1.vmdk)
Formatting '/mnt/pve/VMS/images/100/vm-100-disk-0.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 cluster_size=65536 extended_l2=off preallocation=metadata compression_type=zlib size=16106127360 lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16
transferred 0.0 B of 15.0 GiB (0.00%)
qemu-img: error while reading at byte 0: Input/output error
TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 100 - cannot import from 'esxi1:ha-datacenter/datastore1/Debian1/Debian1.vmdk' - copy failed: command '/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -p -n -f vmdk -O qcow2 /run/pve/import/esxi/esxi1/mnt/ha-datacenter/datastore1/Debian1/Debian1.vmdk zeroinit:/mnt/pve/VMS/images/100/vm-100-disk-0.qcow2' failed: exit code 1

No lucky here

VMWare ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 14320388)
I had the same for any esxi host connection created using pve-esxi-import-tools v0.6.0.

To correct:
* make sure you are using pve-esxi-import-tools v0.6.1 or 0.7.0 (apt list --installed |grep esxi)
* delete any esxi host connections created using v0.6.0
* reboot your PVE host (or restart the required services which are probably listed in this thread somewhere...)
* re-connect the esxi host after rebooting or restarting services
* try again

Reactions: Gilberto Ferreira
I had the same for any esxi host connection created using pve-esxi-import-tools v0.6.0.

To correct:
* make sure you are using pve-esxi-import-tools v0.6.1 or 0.7.0 (apt list --installed |grep esxi)
* delete any esxi host connections created using v0.6.0
* reboot your PVE host (or restart the required services which are probably listed in this thread somewhere...)
* re-connect the esxi host after rebooting or restarting services
* try again
Hi
Thanks for you insigns but the installation is new and yes the pve-esxi-import-tools is the newest.
root@pve01:~# dpkg -l | grep pve-esxi
ii pve-esxi-import-tools 0.7.0 amd64 Tools to allow importing VMs from ESXi hosts
I even tried the pve-test repo but nothing.
I will try it later, just to be sure.

Thanks any way

[SOLVED] - after power off the VM in VMWare side, the import works fine.
My bad! Sorry!

Last edited:
Reactions: sheldor
I have done some testing with an old ESXi system I'm considering upgrading. The ESXi host is version 5.5 (so too old to be supported).

One some VMs import works, and on others I get this error:
can't open '/run/pve/import/esxi/hostname/mnt/ha-datacenter/RAID3-SSD/Win7-tl/Win7-tl.vmx' - Function not implemented (500)

I have only tested a couple of VMs so far, as most are running and in use.

OK have an odd one!

Cannot get Proxmox to talk to the ESXi server when using credentials root, but if I go into ESXi and setup a new user (Administrator) it will connect to the host, but it wont show any VM's at all.

I don't know why root is not working but another user is, and then that user that does work wont show anything up.

Any pointers from anyone?

Cheers,
David.

OK have an odd one!

Cannot get Proxmox to talk to the ESXi server when using credentials root, but if I go into ESXi and setup a new user (Administrator) it will connect to the host, but it wont show any VM's at all.

I don't know why root is not working but another user is, and then that user that does work wont show anything up.

Any pointers from anyone?

Cheers,
David.
Did you grant the new user access to the VMs/datacenter?

I have tested the importer in a productive environment. However, the imports are slower than in my small test environment.
ESXi are 7.0U3. PVE is completely up-to-date and the ESXi are connected directly without vCenter via 10 GBit.
With the migration tool, a 40GB VM takes almost 55 minutes.
At the same time, we migrated a 2.2 TB VM using my old method via NFS and the copy was completed in 50 minutes. It is not due to the performance of the hardware.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have tested the importer in a productive environment. However, the imports are slower than in my small test environment.
ESXi are 7.0U3. PVE is completely up-to-date and the ESXi are connected directly without vCenter via 10 GBit.
With the migration tool, a 40GB VM takes almost 55 minutes.
At the same time, we migrated a 2.2 TB VM using my old method via NFS and the copy was completed in 50 minutes. It is not due to the performance of the hardware.

Can anyone confirm this?
do you have tried through esx directly ? going through vcenter is known to be slow.

Did you grant the new user access to the VMs/datacenter?
Hi Devaux,

I am fairly certain I did unless I missed a step somewhere in some section.... I am not a well versed admin of ESXi I am much more familiar with Proxmox, the ESXi server is inherited when I took over the business, so I am still trying to learn some basic stuff.

If there are any known sections that you can think of, please do share, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
David.

Hi Devaux,

I am fairly certain I did unless I missed a step somewhere in some section.... I am not a well versed admin of ESXi I am much more familiar with Proxmox, the ESXi server is inherited when I took over the business, so I am still trying to learn some basic stuff.

If there are any known sections that you can think of, please do share, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
David.
Right click on "Permissions" in "Manage" and then adding the permissions to the user and VMs should be enough.

1713336137296.png

Hi
Thanks for you insigns but the installation is new and yes the pve-esxi-import-tools is the newest.
root@pve01:~# dpkg -l | grep pve-esxi
ii pve-esxi-import-tools 0.7.0 amd64 Tools to allow importing VMs from ESXi hosts
I even tried the pve-test repo but nothing.
I will try it later, just to be sure.

Thanks any way

[SOLVED] - after power off the VM in VMWare side, the import works fine.
My bad! Sorry!
I made the same mistake ;)

We have a Server 2012R2 Datacenter licensed server that when migrated using the migration tool, loses its licensing with Microsoft. We have found a workaround that involves installing Windows Server Backup as a feature and then manually removing VMWare drivers and installing VirtIO/Proxmox drivers before booting. We even figured out how to change the drive from SATA to SCSI after the restore into Proxmox. If anyone is interested, let me know and we'll take the time to write the KBA and upload the process.

We have a Server 2012R2 Datacenter licensed server that when migrated using the migration tool, loses its licensing with Microsoft. We have found a workaround that involves installing Windows Server Backup as a feature and then manually removing VMWare drivers and installing VirtIO/Proxmox drivers before booting. We even figured out how to change the drive from SATA to SCSI after the restore into Proxmox. If anyone is interested, let me know and we'll take the time to write the KBA and upload the process.
I always had success enabling virtio-scsi in the Windows recovery console after migrating so far:
drvload.exe D:\viostor\w11\amd64\viostor.inf (loads the driver from ISO-Image so the recovery console detects the Windows-partition => here c: )
dism /image:c:\ /add-driver /driver:d:\viostor\w10\amd64\viostor.inf (Integrating and enabling virtio for the next boot)

But i am very interested in the MS License part.

Last edited:
How to fast import vm with thin mode virtual disk
on esxi I have a vm with Hard disk 2 of 1.8 TB capacity, but only uses about 45GB

How to fast import vm with thin mode virtual disk
on esxi I have a vm with Hard disk 2 of 1.8 TB capacity, but only uses about 45GB
We haven't figured out a way to make thin migrations from ESXi go faster. The migration service seems to ignore thin provisioning until the VM lives on its own hardware. Kind of frustrating since 95% of the disk's bits are set to 0. I won't complain about it too much though, having a migration tool has saved us countless hours of migrating VMs by hand.

Patience is key. The difference in response times for our servers living in Proxmox as compared to VMware is huge. I swear VMware was throttling our VMs for not spending enough money with them.

Right click on "Permissions" in "Manage" and then adding the permissions to the user and VMs should be enough.

View attachment 66476
Perfect!

Thank you for that, I had it everywhere else but there :)

Now just need to sort out the new error which is "Communications Failure (0)" so I am one step closer now which is always a good start.

Cheers,

David.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!