New Import Wizard Available for Migrating VMware ESXi Based Virtual Machines

Hi all,
I only use thin disk on my ESXi. Is the import wizard converting that in a way that the disks will be still thin provisioned?

Thanks

I can also confirm this works with ESXi 6.7.0 U3, many thanks!

Had some trouble editing /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg because it was read-only.
Solved it with:
Code:
chmod 666 /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg
When editing with vi, save with ESC : w! which will write it anyway.

Hi,

May you try to Ctrl+Shift+R in your browser or open a private/Incognito browser?
i fixed the issue, what worked for me was switching to ceph-reef -- no-subscription after recheck for updates and a reboot of the node the button was there :)

hmm, know i get:
"
(vim.fault.HostConnectFault) { dynamicType = <unset>, dynamicProperty = (vmodl.DynamicProperty) [], msg = '503 Service Unavailable', faultCause = <unset>, faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) []} (500)
"

Hey there.
We are looking at replacing Vmware with ProxMox, and I tested migration with the new tool you provided.
I didnt have any disconnect issues, and the import seems to have worked, but it was extremely slow.
I did not go thru a vCenter, but made a direct connection to a esxi server.
Migrating a 220G VM took 10 hours, 22 minutes. I think that works out to like 22Mbit a second? maybe my math is off, but it seems pretty slow.
Certainly not suitable for migrataing our 1145 VMs when the time comes. :)

I have a 10gb connection for the management port on both the proxmox server and the esxi server.
nvme FC storage on the ESXi side, and the ProxMox server has SSD FC storage.
On the Proxmox side, we are using shared LVM over FC.

Is there anything you guys can think of that I can do to speed things up?
Thanks!

Jason

Last edited:
Hey there.
We are looking at replacing Vmware with ProxMox, and I tested migration with the new tool you provided.
I didnt have any disconnect issues, and the import seems to have worked, but it was extremely slow.
Migrating a 220G VM took 10 hours, 22 minutes. I think that works out to like 22Mbit a second? maybe my math is off, but it seems pretty slow.

I have a 10gb connection for the management port on both the proxmox server and the esxi server.

Thanks!

Jason
Something is not right there. I am importing a 32GB test VM in 12 minutes over a 1Gig connection in the lab.

We running "6.5.0 Update 1 (Build 5969303)" Host of ESXi i know really old, that is why i try to move to Proxmox.

i have now the issue that when the copy is by around "transferred 9.6 GiB of 30.0 GiB (32.08%)" it stops with a error:
"
qemu-img: error while reading at byte 10368317440: Input/output error
Logical volume "vm-112-disk-0" successfully removed.
"
and it locks out the ESXi host, for a while :( and unlocks also so no panic there.

Does the "/etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg & /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml " edit also work for 6.5?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop06
Hey there.

Thanks!

Jason
I just migrated as test a 120 GB VM from my ESXi 6.7.0 U3 to Proxmox.
ESXi host has local storarge, network is 1 Gbit.
Took 36 minutes.

We running "6.5.0 Update 1 (Build 5969303)" Host of ESXi i know really old, that is why i try to move to Proxmox.

i have now the issue that when the copy is by around "transferred 9.6 GiB of 30.0 GiB (32.08%)" it stops with a error:
"
qemu-img: error while reading at byte 10368317440: Input/output error
Logical volume "vm-112-disk-0" successfully removed.
"
and it locks out the ESXi host, for a while :( and unlocks also so no panic there.

Does the "/etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg & /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml " edit also work for 6.5?
The changes to vpxa.cfg and config.xml should work. During my research 6.5 was listed as applicable in the documentation.

Hi,

Can someone help me?

There is no ESXi option :(
i updated the Node to latest version 8.1.10 and checked if the tool was installed.
"apt install pve-esxi-import-tools " ---> "pve-esxi-import-tools is already the newest version (0.6.0)."

But when i look under Storage and click the Add button there is no ESXI option?
did i miss anything?
View attachment 65512

Edit: i did also the steps on my cluster same thing no esxi option..
I have the same exact issue. There is no ESXI Storage Option.

Hey there.

Thanks!

Jason
With direct connect to ESXi without vCenter I can reach 7GBit in Peak and 4,5-5 GBit overall.

Reactions: aaron
Hi everybody,

no matter what I do, I get this error - any advice?

It happens for both LINUX and WINDOWS machines

ASK ERROR: unable to create VM 129 - cannot import from 'esxi01:ha-datacenter/storage01/sbc02 Replica/sbc02.vmdk' - copy failed: command '/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -p -n -f vmdk -O raw /run/pve/import/esxi/esxi01/mnt/ha-datacenter/storage01/sbc02-Replica/sbc02.vmdk 'zeroinit:rbd:proxmox/vm-129-disk-1:mon_host=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:auth_supported=cephx:id=proxmox1:keyring=/etc/pve/priv/ceph/clouddisk.keyring'' failed: exit code 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!