Networking problems when downloadind a large file

decibel83

Renowned Member
Oct 15, 2008
Hi.

I installed three KVM virtual machines but I have a serious networking problem.
When I try to download a large file (for example 4 Gb) from a website on a virtual machine, the networking connection of that virtual machine hangs itself after a while.
If I kill wget with CTRL+C I realize that I have no networking connection at all on that virtual machine, I can't ping an external host, and I can't ping the Proxmox system!
I have to restart the virtual machine to have the network connection on it again.

Could you help me to found a solution for this problem?
I tried to investigate but I didn't find anything useful.

Thank you very much for your help!
Bye.

The guest's OS is Debian Etch amd64.
The networking connection of the guest stops itself not at the same point, sometimes at 2%, sometimes at 3%, sometimes at 20%, etc.
If you want I can send you the login information of the machines (the PVE host and the guest) to let you see the problem yourself (in private, of course).
If you want this, please tell me your e-mail address.
Tomorrow I will be able to make more tests, tell me what I have to do...

Please can you try to identify the problem. Is it Debian Etch amd64 specific, or does it occur with all 64bit systems, is it linux specific (works with windows guests), does it work wit 32bit guest, ...

- Dietmar

The problem seems to be only in Debian 64bit guests.
I installed a guest with Debian 32bit and I was able to download an entire 2Gb .iso file without any problems.
The same file downloaded from all Debian 64 bit guests hangs the networking connection after 2/3-30% of the download process.
I cannot try with Windows now.
I can install another 64bit guest (non Debian).

The problem seems to be only in Debian 64bit guests.
I installed a guest with Debian 32bit and I was able to download an entire 2Gb .iso file without any problems.
The same file downloaded from all Debian 64 bit guests hangs the networking connection after 2/3-30% of the download process.

same problem here :-(

I will convert my main file server to 32 bits just because of this problem.

Could you try to modify the model of the network interface to "e1000" instead of rtl8139, please?
I'm testing this configuration and it seems to work.

Could you try to modify the model of the network interface to "e1000" instead of rtl8139, please?
I'm testing this configuration and it seems to work.

:)
I have provisioned 2 kvm machines and it has worked flawlessly. I use apt-proxy to cache the packages, so the software installations are really fast. I installed a bare etch (not even standard system) and upgraded to lenny + gnome (in total nearly 1GB of packages). It worked like a charm with on average 10MB/second. With the r8169 module it always dropped the connexxion (more than once).

So this seems to help it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!