networking issues [proxmox -> vm -> docker -> macvlan]

trustno1foxm

Jan 1, 2024
hello,

I am stuck for 2 days and there must be something wrong. I did a docker setup on a rpi4 and macvlan and everything worked fine. now I tried on a x86 platform to setup proxmox, added a vm, installed docker and used macvlan for a lan-bridge.
I want to setup a container with it's own specific ip address, it starts up, but I can't reach it from my client pc.

So there is a linux bridge in proxmox that is vlan aware. that hardware with an vlan ID is connected to that debian vm. that vm is reachable with 192.168.4.100 from my pc-client. I setup docker and portainer. so far everything is ok. But when setuping up a test container like nginx and using a macvlan and a specific ip address like 192.168.4.110 I will never be able to reach it... what's wrong?

thx!

so long

Hello, yes it has been my fault, macvlan doesn't support custom Port translations, so all Ports are published. Just remove the Port translation for your docker instances.

so long

Reactions: wdsouza1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!