[SOLVED] Networking issue, (Proxmox on a hyper-v guest)

eclipsta

Aug 15, 2023
Hello,

As a new user of Proxmox, I've installed it on a virtual machine running on a Hyper-V server (with the goal of exploring Proxmox and potentially migrating my server fleet to Proxmox in the future).

I'm having difficulty setting up VMs (tested with Windows 11 and Debian 12) because I can't seem to connect them to the internet using the vmbr0 bridge.

From what I understand, I'm supposed to connect my interface/bridge vmbr0, which has an IP of 192.168.1.36, and this interface is connected to my eth0 interface which has internet access.

After going through the documentation, I'm really not sure why I'm not getting internet connectivity on the Proxmox VMs.

I'll provide you with images of my configuration for reference.

Thank you in advance for any assistance; I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• NetworkConfGUI.png
    NetworkConfGUI.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Hyper-VNetworkConf.png
    Hyper-VNetworkConf.png
    467.7 KB · Views: 49
  • VMToVMBR0.png
    VMToVMBR0.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 46
  • ProxmoxConnectedReachInternet.png
    ProxmoxConnectedReachInternet.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IPa.png
    IPa.png
    66 KB · Views: 36
  • CatInterfaces.png
    CatInterfaces.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 40
Strange setup to have, (I doubt many will have the setup that you have) but first things first.
Can your Proxmox host access the Internet?

Thank you for your response.

This setup is temporary; it's solely for testing Proxmox. If Proxmox proves capable of everything I need, I'll migrate my server fleet to have a single Proxmox server hosting all my different machines.

Yes, Proxmox has internet access; for instance, it can ping 8.8.8.8 (google.com), and I can access the manager at https://192.168.1.36:8006/.

Sorry deleted my last question since 8.8.8.8 is google

Can you ping 192.168.1.1 - your router from a VM?

My settings within the default network in HyperV (virtual switch manager)

Did you tick the Allow management operating system to share this network adaptor?

1692101169719.png

Thank you for your prompt response.

Yes, I have allowed the system to share this connection.

Attachments

• InformationHyper-VNetworking.png
    InformationHyper-VNetworking.png
    270.6 KB · Views: 24
I had thought that maybe your WIndows HyperVM switch may be getting in the way, but it doesn't look as though it is. What message do you get when you try a ping a domain from inside DebVM? Try www.yahoo.com since for some reason they allow ICMP pings
Could also try a traceroute from inside DebVM

I had thought that maybe your WIndows HyperVM switch may be getting in the way, but it doesn't look as though it is. What message do you get when you try a ping a domain from inside DebVM? Try www.yahoo.com since for some reason they allow ICMP pings
Could also try a traceroute from inside DebVM
Thank you for the response.

I can't even open a shell with all the capabilities of Debian or Windows because I can't complete the installation process due to a lack of any connection access.

However, when opening a shell from the Debian ISO, the ping attempt results in "network unreachable."

Attachments

• NetworkUnreachable.png
    NetworkUnreachable.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 17
I was wondering whether your DHCP server (if you use one) is refusing to assign an IP address to DebVM - no IP assigned no access to the Internet and so on. Other than that thought I have no more help that I can give. Would like to know the reason if you do get it resolved though.
Cheers

I was wondering whether your DHCP server (if you use one) is refusing to assign an IP address to DebVM - no IP assigned no access to the Internet and so on. Other than that thought I have no more help that I can give. Would like to know the reason if you do get it resolved though.
Cheers

I also tried to manually assign an IP during the Debian 12 installation process, but it didn't work.

After further research, I came across a forum where someone attempted the same thing as me and encountered the exact same issue, without a solution. It's indeed possible that this could be a flawed implementation on the part of Hyper-V regarding support for Unix systems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HyperV/comments/pewr26/how_can_i_run_proxmox_on_hyper_v/

I think I'll just get another server and test Proxmox on it (to avoid having two layers of virtualization).

Thank you for the time you spent trying to help me, and I will keep you updated if I happen to find a solution by pure chance.

I remain open to any other potential solutions if someone has managed to address this issue.

Cheers

Hello,

After conducting further research, I discovered that enabling "enable MAC address spoofing" resolves the issue. Proxmox is now working well on my Hyper-V server and is capable of providing bridged internet to my main network for guest VMs of Proxmox.

So, for anyone interested in running Proxmox from a Hyper-V guest:

• You need to enable nested virtualization (use this command in Admin PowerShell):
    Set-VMProcessor -VMName 'vmname' -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true
  • Enable MAC address spoofing on the internet adapter from Hyper-V settings of guest machine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!