Network / VLans and Such

nexusguy59

Jan 6, 2014
Ohio
www.rpihobby.us
Hello Everyone,

I was playing around today and came across David McKone's video on youtube about making Proxmox vlan aware. So I tried it today and failed miserably. Please see attachment. So I have a vmbr0 which I believe should be the WAN side (Right?) So I added a usb to ethernet Nic as the second one (Lan Side) and gave it a diff ip than the WAN side of course however it's not working the container sees it however I am not able to ping the network from either side wan nor lan. Any help would be appreciated.

1670727247754.png
vmbr0 has an ip and vmbr1 doesn't have an ip as of yet.

1670727346314.png
As you can see it has IPs and it should be working buti t's not I cannot ping in or out from either side (WAN/LAN) I do know for the LAN side I will need VLans. Any help in that direction would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Michael

Hello Dunuin, I apologize here is the VM Config as well:

1670744432347.png

1670744501130.png

Here is the VM pinging it self:

1670744611374.png

However when I ping outside the VM it doesn't work and back to the VM. I am absolutely positive it's because I have something misconfigured. A trunk or something untagged traffic not routed properly. I am not good enough at working to figure it out.

I believe that is every thing. Thank you.

Last edited:
You shouldn't passthrough the USB NIC into your pfsense VM. That way your host got no NIC for its vmbr1. Give that pfsense VM a second virtio NIC, connected to vmbr1, instead.

Reactions: nexusguy59
You shouldn't passthrough the USB NIC into your pfsense VM. That way your host got no NIC for its vmbr1. Give that pfsense VM a second virtio NIC, connected to vmbr1, instead.
Thank you I appreciate the info I ended up creating a bridge on the second nic and making it vlan aware and it works perfectly.

1670848069357.png

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!