Network interfaces renamed on every reboot

Jame5

Jul 6, 2016
Haven't run into this in the past, or in testing with proxmox on a 1GbE network. But in my production network each node has 2x 1GbE interfaces, and 2x 10GbE interfaces. This generates eth0, eth1, eth2, and eth3.

Most of the time, eth0&1 are 1GbE, and eth2&3 are 10GbE. Thus in my /etc/network/interfaces file I have:

Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
  slaves eth2 eth3

However, after setting up the pvecm cluster, and starting to do some failover testing, I notice that I have about a 1 in 3 chance of actually getting the correct interface assignments on reboot.

In the past this would have been handled by /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules , but it seems this is no longer the case?

All I really want is to ensure that my network configuration survives a reboot and I can successfully reconnect to the system afterwards.

Hi
Try putting
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="net.ifnames=1"

in /etc/default/grub

call 'update-grub' and reboot

this should give fix device names based on their position on the PCI bus

That worked.

It looks like that flag goes ahead and generates the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file.

*EDIT: Actually, I'm not so sure it did oddly. After reboot on my first node, I had a persistent-net-rules file. But on the others, it went to the new standard of naming by PCI location. I ended up deleting that 70-persistent-net.rules file and letting the first node also name them by PCI location. Since I have 3 identical nodes, that gives me a consistent configuration across all 3 nodes.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I had the same Problem.

I use a PVE 5 Cluster on HP BladeSystem c7000 with 3 nodes (3 Blades).
One node is actual down.

Today i installed the updates (proxmox-ve 5.0-20 to 5.0-21, pve-kernel 4.10.17-3-pve to 4.10.17-21, .....).
After this i need to reboot the server.

On second node it worked fine.

But on third node i had no web-ui / no more network after reboot.

<ifconfig -a> showed me only 'lo' and 'vmbr0' - but no more 'eth0'

<dmesg> said that device 'bnx2x' .... had renamed 'eth0' to 'enp2s0f0'

first i tried to edit /etc/network/interfaces line bridge
- but this did not work

but adding
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="net.ifnames=1"

in /etc/default/grub

&
<update-grub> and reboot
helped me

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!