[SOLVED] Network interfaces no longer come up automatically

abayliss

Jul 27, 2020
I'm having a strange problem with one of my PVE hosts where the network interfaces are no longer starting automatically. The machine is a Dell T20 with one onboard NIC, and I have a bridge interface configured for my VMs with just that NIC as a member. Yesterday after turning the machine back on after being away, the network was completely down, and I eventually traced this to the NIC interface, eno1, showing as down in ip link, and ethtool eno1 showing Link detected: no. The link lights are working, the switch at the other end says the port is up, and the Intel management interface that also uses the onboard NIC is working.

I can make everything work as normal by doing ip link set eno1 up and ifup vmbr0 at which point ethtool reports Link detected: yes. If I then reboot the interface still doesn't come back up and I have to go through the same process.

Everything was working before I turned the machine off on Friday, I did do an upgrade mid-last week which took me up to kernel 5.4, but everything worked after the reboot for that.

I can't see anything strange in dmesg (attached), so I'm at a loss as to how to investigate this. It's literally as if the cable is unplugged, but it isn't.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 10.0.0.25/24
    gateway 10.0.0.1
    bridge-ports eno1
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    bridge-vlan-aware yes
    bridge-vids 2-4094
    #pre-up ip link set eno1 up
    post-up ethtool -K eno1 gso off gro off tso off

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
    address 172.16.0.1/24
    bridge-ports none
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
#Host Only

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    101.5 KB · Views: 89
Hi,

Please post output of status networking after booting

systemctl status networking.service

Hah! You've pointed me in the right direction to fix it, along with some further digging I'd been doing. I realised that as part of the upgrade I did the other day, I also upgraded from ifupdown to ifupdown2, and I'm in the habit of doing an apt purge of removed packages (maybe a bad idea). Looking at the status of networking.service it said

Code:
root@pve-01:~# systemctl status networking.service
● networking.service - Network initialization
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:interfaces(5)
           man:ifup(8)
           man:ifdown(8)

so enabling that service seems to have fixed the problem after a reboot. I suspect what happened is that the purge of ifupdown disabled networking.service.

Reactions: galaxyhiker
Hi,

great! that you solved your issue by yourself, Please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' Thanks!

My observation on this issue is with UEFI settings. Doesn't work with UEFI boot. NICs are isolated with UEFI.

I just want to say THANK YOU for posting this as I had the exact same issue!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!