[SOLVED] Network Interfaces are all down. eno1 DNE

soreph

Nov 3, 2023
Proxmox was working fine until my apartment's internet went down. Once it came back up I couldn't use the web gui no matter what I did.
The entire server is now down.

One more odd thing I've noticed is that it says Bridge port eno1 does not exist even though it has worked fine for well over a month.

I'm pretty new at this so I'm at quite a loss. Here are some photos: E3077CF9-9DEA-4622-8848-F4613EFB030B_1_102_o.jpeg2DF965E6-0578-491F-9810-0C300C256527_1_105_c.jpegC822F7F0-0366-4458-9C6C-54C5093BAFC6_1_105_c.jpeg1C127739-D7A7-481E-B533-6DFF600F83E0_1_105_c.jpeg
Now 03 19:50:50 pve networking (759]: error: vmbro: bridge port eno1 does not exist Nov 03 19:50:50 pve /usr/sbin/ifup(759]: error: vmbro: bridge port eno1 does not exist Mov 03 19:50:50 pve /us/sbin/ifup[759]: warning: vmbro: apply bridge ports settings: bridge configuration failed (missing ports) Nov 03 19:50:50 pve networking[759]: warning: vmbro: apply bridge ports settings: bridge configuration failed (missing parts)

Hey,
it seems that your network device changed it's name between boots, unless you added one after installation.
This usually occurs when adding pci devices, even if it's not a network device. Just had that this weekend when adding a sata controller
and suddenly my networking was gone. There are probably other things that could trigger a rename, but I'm out of my depths there.

Since eno1 is gone and enp0s31f6 is new, I would suggest replacing all instances of eno1 and see if that helps.

Reactions: soreph
Hi soreph,

first - pveversion would be helpful

As Folke Gleumes wrote: your interface has been renamed.

Please check the pve-docu for the solution:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration

<<<
Warning It’s discouraged to use the traditional Debian tools ifup and ifdown if unsure,
as they have some pitfalls like interupting all guest traffic on ifdown vmbrX but not
reconnecting those guest again when doing ifup on the same bridge later.
If you installed Proxmox VE on top of Debian, or upgraded to Proxmox VE 7.0 from an older Proxmox VE
installation, make sure ifupdown2 is installed: apt install ifupdown2
>>>

Reactions: soreph
Hey,
it seems that your network device changed it's name between boots, unless you added one after installation.
This usually occurs when adding pci devices, even if it's not a network device. Just had that this weekend when adding a sata controller
and suddenly my networking was gone. There are probably other things that could trigger a rename, but I'm out of my depths there.

Since eno1 is gone and enp0s31f6 is new, I would suggest replacing all instances of eno1 and see if that helps.
That was exactly the problem! It's now working perfectly. Thanks for the help and new knowledge.

Thank god for this post, saved me a metric ton of time. I added some nvme ssds and got into the situation described above.

I have a gpu cluster for my institute and to be able to pass the gpus over to windows VMs, I had to disable my Nvidia drivers. This means I had zero chance to do something with a monitor and a keyboard or ssh. Therefore I had to follow this guide to get access to my system, before losing access to it while a monitor and keyboard is attached. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Root_Password_Reset

And for all who are like me and new to this. Changing the network adapter name (just a change of one number for me) under /etc/network/interfaces did the trick. You can use "nano /etc/network/interfaces" to open the file, change the name and then hit ctrl + s to save it.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!