Network in proxmox

Emilsito

Apr 19, 2024
Hi, I've been using Proxmox for a while and I wanted to know something, if you can answer it I'll be very grateful.
I have two network cards on a proxmox node and I wanted to know how one can be configured for management and one for virtual machines.
I do this to have one network separated from another so that there are no problems with IPs.
The node is connected to the same switch in the 2 network cards.

Last edited:
Use your management NIC with IP+gateway+DNS but nothing set on the VM bridge or alternatively create a node firewall rule to block port 22 and 8006 on your VM bridge in case you want an IP there too. So the VM subnet can't use ssh or the webUI/API.

Hi, thanks for your advice, what I need is to have like two different networks that are connected to physical interfaces, one to manage whatever and another just for virtual machines so that the manage one cannot be reached from a machine, but I think that since I have the 2 network cards connected in the same place it can't be done.

You could use different subnets using the same unmanaged switch. But for proper isolation you would need a vlan capable managed switch or two unmanaged switches.

Another option would be to create a DMZ for your VMs on the PVE using a bridge without a physical NIC connected to it but only some router VM like a OPNsense/pfsense.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!