Need your advice as a newbie...

ozgurerdogan

Renowned Member
May 2, 2010
Bursa, Turkey, Turkey
Hello for this great product users, I am using proxmox with two local disks. One is for vms and second is for only backups. But I want to add a third disk and have second copy of existing backups. I do not have raid stuff or clustering stuff. So what do you recommend? I think I need a sample copy software and cron it to copy backups to third disk? What would you suggest?

Thanks

backup to hdd1 on mo,wed,fri,sun
backup to hdd2 in tue,thu,sat

or if you want to mirror backup dir, just use rsync+cron

if you have a raid controller, configure the two backup hdds as an RAID1

:)

i dont think that this was the question, but of course you are right.

If the only backup you have is on local machine, it is really useless.

i am backing up to local raid+another local drive+two external machines hundreds of kilometers away. this should work :)

I´m assuming this is done via a script, and is this incremental?
If so, do you mind sharing the script?

Thanks,

It is not incremental since Proxmox does not have an incremental backup yet.
All this does is mount the encrypted disk when vzdump is run so the backup is stored on the encrypted disk.
At the completion of the backup the encrypted disk is dismounted so it is ready to be hot-swapped.

In /etc/vzdump.conf add the script:
Code:
script: /usr/local/bin/vzdump-hook.sh

Contents of the script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ "$1" == "job-start" ]
then
        cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:0:0-part1 backup --key-file=/path/to/the/backup.key
        mount /dev/mapper/backup /backup
fi

if [[ "$1" == "job-end" || "$1" == "job-abort" ]]
then
        sync
        umount /backup
        cryptsetup luksClose backup
fi

You will need to change the device, path to the key and the mountpoint.

backup to hdd1 on mo,wed,fri,sun
backup to hdd2 in tue,thu,sat

or if you want to mirror backup dir, just use rsync+cron

if you have a raid controller, configure the two backup hdds as an RAID1

:)

This is great idea... :) I loved it. Do you agree with me about this;
BTW I have a raid controller HP P212/ZM Smart Array Rmkt Controller which has raid 0 with two sata disk only (for performance). I can add two more sata disk and make them raid 1 to keep two copy of backups ON SAME CONTROLLER. But as it is not that much deadly situation to have two copy of backups for my situation, I do not want to reduce performance of raid 0 disks because of using same raid controller. Not sure but I guess having raid0 + raid1 on same raid controller would reduce performance of raid controller than only having raid0? Am I correct?

This is great idea... :) I loved it. Do you agree with me about this;
BTW I have a raid controller HP P212/ZM Smart Array Rmkt Controller which has raid 0 with two sata disk only (for performance). I can add two more sata disk and make them raid 1 to keep two copy of backups ON SAME CONTROLLER. But as it is not that much deadly situation to have two copy of backups for my situation, I do not want to reduce performance of raid 0 disks because of using same raid controller. Not sure but I guess having raid0 + raid1 on same raid controller would reduce performance of raid controller than only having raid0? Am I correct?
Hi,
with the right raid-controller is an raid10 with 4 disks faster than a raid0 with 2 disk (because read from all 4 disks).

Because an second backup-hdd: I assume it's better to have the running VMs on an raid-1 (or 10) to be safe again dataloss on hdd-failure. Of course it's nice to have more than one backup, but if the running VM fails, you will see that your backup is a little bit to old... and the second is much older... but this depends on the type of VMs.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!