Need to recover VM's from PVE 1.9

N

nodesynth

I was running a couple of virtual machines on PVE 1.9 until my server died. PVE 1.9 was installed on SCSI drive and my VMs were installed (the LVM way) in a Volume Group which resided on a Raptor drive.
Now, I've installed PVE 2.0 on a brand new server. I can rescue the Logical Volumes on the Raptor drive which contained my VMs; I also have a dd backup of those two Logical Volumes. I however can't rescue the .conf files for the VMs as they are on SCSI drive and I don't have a SCSI controller on the new server. Unfortunately, I did not do backup the Virtual Machines the Proxmox way. I only backed up the Logical Volumes using dd.
Is there any way I can dd the Logical Volume for the two VMs on that Raptor drive onto the new server, create two .conf files by hand and expect my Virtual Machines to boot up? If yes, how would I go about doing that. Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated as those two VM's are quite important. Thank you all.

just create new VM´s and then assign/copy the disks manually to the needed location. analyse the new VMID.conf file to see the details/syntax.

Yesss! It worked... I made the new LV exactly the same size as my old VM.. dd'd the logical volume and voila... Thanks tom.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!