My Windows VM is very slow

R3tr0

Sep 26, 2022
Hi,
My Windows VM has 24 cores and 32GB of ram. However, when i am moving the mouse around in the VM it is often very slow and i cannot click on things because it is very laggy. Is there any way to speed it up?

First you should find out what the problem is. For example if your VM is actually fast, but just the remote desktop connection is bad, so it looks slow/laggy to you. In case you got GPU passed though you could connect a display directly to that GPU and see if it is still slow.
Then I would check network, disk, RAM, CPU, GPU benchmarks inside the VM to see if there is a botleneck, in case it is not the remote desktop connection.
Also make sure "KVM hardware acceleration" is enabled in the VMs options, that you don't run nested virtualization, that the CPU type is set to host and that you use virtio SCSI as the disk controller and virtio as the NIC.
And keep in mind that without a passed through GPU all graphics will have to be rendered in software by the CPU which is super slow and even a 720p youtube playback might stutter.

First you should find out what the problem is. For example if your VM is actually fast, but just the remote desktop connection is bad, so it looks slow/laggy to you. In case you got GPU passed though you could connect a display directly to that GPU and see if it is still slow.
Then I would check network, disk, RAM, CPU, GPU benchmarks inside the VM to see if there is a botleneck, in case it is not the remote desktop connection.
Also make sure "KVM hardware acceleration" is enabled in the VMs options, that you don't run nested virtualization, that the CPU type is set to host and that you use virtio SCSI as the disk controller and virtio as the NIC.
And keep in mind that without a passed through GPU all graphics will have to be rendered in software by the CPU which is super slow and even a 720p youtube playback might stutter.
Thanks man, Ive set the CPU to host and i notice an improvement instantly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!