MY Proxmox Setup - Loving It!

JayC

Mar 18, 2017
SO i decided to wipe my VmWare esxi6.5 enterprise plus install for ProxMox and am i ever glad i did!!

My Home Setup:

Dell R710/Perc 6i/ Raid5 3.7TB, WriteBack.
MyCloud Backup Storage/2TB Spindle/, 1G link to server.
OpenMediaVault/3TB SSD/Raid5 - 10G link to server.
2 BR1000 UPS's. A/B power.
50M Cable internet.
Secure Mesh VPN between all family members houses for connectivity and remote support, voip service from me, kodi service from me etc...

8 Linux VM's on vmbr1
1. VyOS Firewall (dual interface for natting/hosting etc so also on vmbr0 (WAN))
2. Monitoring Host
3. OwnCloud
4. Mail Server
5. Web Server
6. NFS Server for whole house Kodi
7. PBX in a flash with 5 incoming trunks.
8. OpenHab home automation.

1 Windows 7 MGMT VM.

Host: Proxmox
Eth0 - vmbr0 (WAN)
Eth1-7 (1GB) - vmbr1 (LAN) - Random devices around the house. Voip, Media, Kodi, phones, pc's, wifi, etc
Eth8 (10GB) - vmbr1 (LAN) - 10G Direct link to OpenMediaVault SAN.
Dual BR1000 UPS's connected to host via USB with apcupsd controlling shutdown of the host and VM's when needed. Also have misc alerting scripts setup for vpn links up/down, the raid card battery, hard disks for online status, rebuilds, general hardware status etc..

I installed PM on a test host before i decided to migrate from vmware to test and iron anything out that would creep up. I finally made the change and I have to say, on vmware with 1G links I would get on average 700M of bandwidth through vmware with iperf. This is with testing of Jumbo Frames also. On my 10G in vmware i would get about 6G throughput. Now with utilizing stright debian and bridging etc this thing screams. 9.8GB non stop all day on 10G links and 980MBit on 1GB links all day long with iperf. Added some OS tweaks as well for 10G. VM's were migrated from vmware and everything went without a hitch. Just had to remove vmtools and install the virtio drivers in windows as linux already had them. reads and writes match the server host with write back and everything looks great and screams. And could restoring lzo backups be any easier???? wow.. Couldn't be happier!

I will be migrating all my other vmware nodes at remote locations soon as well!

Thanks for a new hobby ProxMox!! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: fireon and dcsapak
I applaud the the switch from ESXi to ProxMox. Keep in mind though that by default ESXi has queuing settings put in place to keep the environment stable under most workloads. This is especially true for storage and how it handles I/O so one guest or host do not grab all available I/O.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!