My little contribution : how to login to proxmox with a different user than root

A

aladdin

I was looking for a method to allow another user to log in to proxmox so it avoid me to type root password when I want to monitor my VMs.

I didn't found any "official" solution to do that so I managed to create a user that can only access proxmox, he can't login to the server with ssh or so.

this is my solution described step by step:

first you have to create a user and assign it to root group (GID 0) and disable it's shell !

on a Fedora system you need to type :
PHP:
usermod -s /sbin/nologin -G root pveAdmin
on a Debian system type :
PHP:
usermod -s /bin/false -G root pveAdmin
then type :
PHP:
passwd pveAdmin
and give it a strong password

at this stage you can try to connect to the proxmox web interface using aveAdmin as login.

the "-s /sbin/nologin" and "-s /bin/false" options will disable user shell so it can't open a console or a ssh session, but we can make it more secure.

to do so : open your ssh configuration file (/etc/ssh/sshd_config) and look for a line beginning with : DenyUsers user1 user2 user3
if you find this line, add pveAdmin at the end

PHP:
DenyUsers user1 user2 user3 pveAdmin
if not add it to the end of sshd_config

PHP:
DenyUsers pveAdmin
then restart your ssh service

PHP:
/etc/init.d/ssh restart
you have now a specific user for proxmox administration.

note 1 : one security good practice is to never log in to any system using the root account !
eaven if you use secure connections (ssl, ssh...etc) it's best to use a specific user.

note 2 : the solution above is still not perfect since the created user is a member of "root" group ! I used this because pve tools need it to execute, I think i'll be better if pve uses a spécific other than root.
I'm still looking for a best solution.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!