[SOLVED] Multiple IPs not working.

matthewh

Feb 27, 2017
I have a fully setup dedicated server with OVH right now, we need to upgrade but they can't just upgrade the hardware...we have to purchase a new dedicated server and blah blah blah. Both are Proxmox 4.4.

Basically, we have the dedicated server's IP (where Proxmox is) which for example is 192.168.1.1. Then we have 4 other IPs, 192.168.2.1-4. This works on the current setup.

In the /etc/network/interfaces on the dedicated we added:
up ip route add 192.168.2.1 dev vmbr0

For each IP address.

Each container in the network, we have set for a static IP with 192.168.2.1/32 with the gateway as 192.168.1.1. This works. Unless I'm missing something we did in the past. We never touched the interfaces or hosts on the container. They just work right out of the box because of the changes on the host node.

Now we have a second dedicated server and this process just doesn't work.

So summed up, here's my end goal.
We have the host node as the main IP, but each container has a different IP address from the host node. The IPs are linked/associated to the dedicated server in OVH. I'm just...I don't know. It worked once, now it's not. I'm just flat out confused.

OVH requires you use their supplied virtual MAC address for every failover IP you use. Make sure the containers have the correct MAC address and IP combo that was assigned to them. You should be able to access that info from the OVH control panel.

OVH requires you use their supplied virtual MAC address for every failover IP you use. Make sure the containers have the correct MAC address and IP combo that was assigned to them. You should be able to access that info from the OVH control panel.
There is no virtual MAC given. I can add one, but there's none given by default. Let me add one and try it out.

For the type, should I choose ovh or vmware?
And the name of virtual machine is just whatever I want correct?

There is no virtual MAC given. I can add one, but there's none given by default. Let me add one and try it out.
Yep, you definitely need to add a virtual MAC for that IP. Make sure whatever MAC it generates for you is the one you use as the container's MAC address as well.

I usually go with the vmware option, but it makes no difference if you pick the other. And yes, the name can be anything.

Last edited:
Yep, you definitely need to add a virtual MAC for that IP. Make sure whatever MAC it generates for you is the one you use as the container's MAC address as well.
Yeah, after adding the virtual MAC address, it's still not pinging. It can ping the gateway just fine, though.

Yeah, after adding the virtual MAC address, it's still not pinging. It can ping the gateway just fine, though.
Might seem like a silly question, but is the container's network interface attached to vmbr0 or vmbr1? OVH's Proxmox template creates a second bridge device (vmbr1), but that isn't connected to any physical interface. Your container should be attached to vmbr0, and not vmbr1.

Also, if you can ping IP addresses directly (ie 8.8.8.8), it might just be a DNS issue at this point.

Might seem like a silly question, but is the container's network interface attached to vmbr0 or vmbr1? OVH's Proxmox template creates a second bridge device (vmbr1), but that isn't connected to any physical interface. Your container should be attached to vmbr0, and not vmbr1.

Also, if you can ping IP addresses directly (ie 8.8.8.8), it might just be a DNS issue at this point.
I use vmbr0, I make note to delete that random stuff OVH creates.

I can not ping IPs either, I can only ping the gateway. I can't even ping the containers IP from my local computer. The response only occurs from host node to container, and vice-versa.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!