Multi Datacenter Management

You shouldn't create a cluster anyway if the nodes are not on the same location. See the cluster requirements of <1ms latency between nodes (but I heard 10ms or a bit above (30ms?) might also work). So here cross-cluster management would be very handy as a single big cluster spanning over multiple countries just isn't possible.
it's in the same country, just on a different network and I've invested a lot of money in top network speeds +gigabit consistent on each network I own, I know that data centers do this already from what I've heard for like big companies etc, they interlink their datacenters across many locations as one. Also vpn technology has vastly improved since the Openvpn days, of course still some overhead but still an option to be able to link them would be good since it's quite common already that different datacenters are linked together. By the way do you know how I could take a look at that cross-cluster linking preview? I'm on 8.1.1 latest but don't see it anywhere. Thanks

Preview/experimental features are often CLI only. See the qm manual:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/qm.1.html said:
qm remote-migrate <vmid> [<target-vmid>] <target-endpoint> --target-bridge <string> --target-storage <string> [OPTIONS]
Migrate virtual machine to a remote cluster. Creates a new migration task. EXPERIMENTAL feature!
<vmid>: <integer> (100 - 999999999)
The (unique) ID of the VM.
<target-vmid>: <integer> (100 - 999999999)
The (unique) ID of the VM.
<target-endpoint>: apitoken=<A full Proxmox API token including the secret value.> ,host=<Remote Proxmox hostname or IP> [,fingerprint=<Remote host's certificate fingerprint, if not trusted by system store.>] [,port=<integer>]
Remote target endpoint
--bwlimit <integer> (0 - N) (default =migrate limit from datacenter or storage config)
Override I/O bandwidth limit (in KiB/s).
--delete <boolean> (default =0)
Delete the original VM and related data after successful migration. By default the original VM is kept on the source cluster in a stopped state.
--online <boolean>
Use online/live migration if VM is running. Ignored if VM is stopped.
--target-bridge <string>
Mapping from source to target bridges. Providing only a single bridge ID maps all source bridges to that bridge. Providing the special value 1 will map each source bridge to itself.
--target-storage <string>
Mapping from source to target storages. Providing only a single storage ID maps all source storages to that storage. Providing the special value 1 will map each source storage to itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: yyyy and AODix
Damn... well that's a shame, I was thinking of just scrapping proxmox altogether as I've been encountering tonnes of bugs right from the start which need to be fixed by going into the shell all the time as the GUI is bugged doing this so many times and also realising cross-cluster is non-existent, really does seem like you are just better off running ubuntu server on bare metal anyways.
You may have a different definition of "bug" then most of us. With that definition, every modern OS is full of bugs, because fortunately, they all return to configuratin via CLI. VMware is then not usable at all because simple things don't work via GUI and need ovftool.

Reactions: t.lamprecht
every modern OS is full of bugs
You mean like not being able to use your VLAN-tagged LAN on any Windows via GUI as you first need install Hyper-V and then create a bridge and VLAN interfaces via Powershell? ;)
Also really a shame that Intel droped support for their ProSET tools which allowed creating bonds/vlan interfaces via GUI.

You may have a different definition of "bug" then most of us. With that definition, every modern OS is full of bugs, because fortunately, they all return to configuratin via CLI. VMware is then not usable at all because simple things don't work via GUI and need ovftool.
I have literally seen it being recommended not to run sudo upgrade command as it would break your system, you are not allowed to update the system, which, I don't know, a simple update function being this broken is definitely a bug as it would corrupt the entire system, especially strange considering their own repos are added so updates should really be seamless?

It's not that you aren't allowed to update your system. You just shouldn't run apt upgrade as it might break dependencies. Running apt dist-upgrade or apt full-upgrade are fine. And that is not a PVE thing. apt upgrade will not resolve dependencies by design and that for any Linux using APT:
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man8/apt-get.8.html said:
upgrade
upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
/etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
changing the install status of another package will be left at
their current version. An update must be performed first so that
apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade
command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file
contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package
files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding
the general settings for individual packages.

Reactions: yyyy
Its a "free" product, free to use - you can also make feature requests or even start coding and submit your own additions for a review to the proxmox team. Subscriptions are for tested updates, offline mirror and support. I cant understand those people that put pressure on developers that give so much to the people. Theres more important things then multi-datacenter management. The product needs to be stable, bug-free, uptodate regarding drivers and easy to use.

If you want to help start brainstorming about what features you would expect from a "Multi Datacenter"-Management.
It's not a free product though, certainly not for people asking abut multi-datacenter, we are paying for licences to get the commercial repository because we want the support as a business and a unified management interface is what is missing to make this a vmware contender for those of use on small to mid sized distributed setups. I want to be able to do everything I can through the current interface per datacenter and just have all my datacenters/clusters in the one interface. Live migrate between datacenters on the same subnet would be awesome, non live migrate between all datacenters would be good enough though.

It's not a free product though, certainly not for people asking abut multi-datacenter
Do you really think this way?

(Re-)think about it - your statement is like "It's not a free product though, certainly not if I have to buy hardware to run it"

The source code of PVE is freely available and it is usable without restrictions(!) without paying money. From my personal understanding it is a free as possible.

Best regards

It's not a free product though, certainly not for people asking abut multi-datacenter, we are paying for licences to get the commercial repository because we want the support as a business and a unified management interface is what is missing to make this a vmware contender for those of use on small to mid sized distributed setups. I want to be able to do everything I can through the current interface per datacenter and just have all my datacenters/clusters in the one interface. Live migrate between datacenters on the same subnet would be awesome, non live migrate between all datacenters would be good enough though.
Well, I bet you will get all this.... when it's ready and stable..... until that you will have to wait..... what you get with PVE is already much more, then what you get from other commercial vendors.... and in PVE development is ongoing... in other solutions you get a new "Version-Number" on the package which still does the same s**t....

Reactions: Bohdan Billey
+1 this should have existed even if a vpn bridge required to make this work years ago.

As this is something Proxmox could even sell as its own service surprised they have not had more work on this.

+1 for multi DC use; we have servers to contribute if you are willing to test with Asia region.

This is something I would be very interested in as well. We’re currently in the planning phase if we can migrate our VMware workloads, and it would be very cool to centrally manage all our clusters we then have.

Reactions: jlauro
Well, I bet you will get all this.... when it's ready and stable..... until that you will have to wait..... what you get with PVE is already much more, then what you get from other commercial vendors.... and in PVE development is ongoing... in other solutions you get a new "Version-Number" on the package which still does the same s**t....
I think he is asking how can we pay extra to fund quicker development of critical feature(s). May or may not require support, but do require feautre xyz added as a faster timeline. Doesn't do any good to spend $40,000 on support contracts and license if it doesn't meet minimum viable product for enterprise requirements.

Reactions: 4f1sh3r

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!