MS-DOS 6.22 only 589824 bytes conventional memory. Why?

Rex

Oct 22, 2022
Before you start reading. I know DOS is obsolete and I may call it a wonder a 30 years old OS is running in the first place on modern hardware.

Anyway, everything is working fine. Even QEMM 7.2 and 8.0 are running... Somehow. Desqview is running. Windows 3.11 runs. But like the title says, there is memory missing. How do I fix this? I need every kB. And about 60kB less, is a lot! (hear me talking with a machine with 64GB RAM and 32TB storage ;))

Brings me to problem 2:

Nothing is loading high. So everything is running is conventional memory. Something I do not understand either. Already killed the networkdrivers. But I can't live withouyt the CD-drivers. Stealth isn't working but I can understand that as far as I understand DOS memory + tricks and glitches...

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2024-04-21 10_23_35-pve - Proxmox Virtual Environment — Mozilla Firefox.jpg
    2024-04-21 10_23_35-pve - Proxmox Virtual Environment — Mozilla Firefox.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I don't have any experience with freeDOS but if it's 100% compatible with M$-DOS, I'm interested.
Nor do I. However I read somewhere that FreeDOS is supposed to be compatible with MS-DOS.

I seem to remember that you must use IDE & no Virtio (makes logical sense).

Edit: found this.

Nor do I. However I read somewhere that FreeDOS is supposed to be compatible with MS-DOS.

I seem to remember that you must use IDE & no Virtio (makes logical sense).

Edit: found this.
It's running the way I like it now with FreeDOS. Everything is loading hi. Plenty of RAM now. Thanks!

Reactions: Kingneutron
Thanks reply.

Them both are of non importance for the amount of hardware memory. Which still is ~580kB and no 640kB.
If you alter your config.sys you can get DOS to load itself in high memory and get your missing lower memory back. Which BTW is exactly what Freedos did

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
If you alter your config.sys you can get DOS to load itself in high memory and get your missing lower memory back. Which BTW is exactly what Freedos did
You are looking for DOS=HIGH I assume?

1713752728118.png

Everything is still running in low memory. No way to get it up. Even Himem seems to do nothing. Tried to shift things in startup sequence. Nothing works.

But I notice a thing. Under Himem, the hardware reports the full 640k. So, I stand humbly corrected about that. Anyway, like you can see, this isn't working either. Besides, I need expanded memory for some things. Windows 3.11 for instance...

1713753521889.png

It looks like you are using quarterdeck software? I might ditch that and just try the following:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM=OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\CD1.SYS /D :CDROM
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20
LASTDRIVE=Z

For your autoexec.bat, use the "LH" option for your driver
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D :CDROM

It looks like you are using quarterdeck software? I might ditch that and just try the following:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM=OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\CD1.SYS /D :CDROM
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20
LASTDRIVE=Z

For your autoexec.bat, use the "LH" option for your driver
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D :CDROM
Oh my. Memmaker <> QEMM wars in 2024 mhoeahaha!

I left Proxmox for this. Everything is working nice now. With my favorite QEMM of course.

So, I have Desqview running. Windows 3.11 is running in Desqview. Now I know it's rock stable.

In a couple of weeks I have my ZL1BBS back online. \o/ 25GB DOS games. Wish I had this back in the days.

I often run multiple hypervisors on each other, so having QEMU/KVM VM in PVE with nesting enabled, then VirtualBox inside of that for virtualizing supported MS-DOS and OS/2 in there. Maybe that could also work for you?

I often run multiple hypervisors on each other, so having QEMU/KVM VM in PVE with nesting enabled, then VirtualBox inside of that for virtualizing supported MS-DOS and OS/2 in there. Maybe that could also work for you?
LOL! Looks like a challenge. I'll look into that next time. For now it's running bare metal on an old laptop. Which is running like lightning of course.

For now it's running bare metal on an old laptop. Which is running like lightning of course.
Once/if you get it running virtualized, I believe it will run at a similar speed to bare metal. On such an old OS, it is unlikely to make any difference. I have Windows XP (much "newer" than yours!), that run virtualized as good as (& sometimes better) as bare-metal.

I have testet it with an MS-DOS 7.1 Installation, and after

Setting the follow Options:
KVM Hardware Virtualisation : deaktivate
ACPI Support DEACTIVATE
it works with UpperMemory

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!