Moving VM disk image files from one ZFS storage to another within the same Proxmox server

rigel.local

Mar 24, 2023
Hi,
I'm running out of space on a ZFS storage disk (2 disks mirrored pool) 1.55T dedicated to VM disk image storage. Will it be possible to completely move all VM disk images to another bigger ZFS storage disk I'm planning to add soon on the same proxmox server?
screenshot-2023-12-02-21-19-58@2x.png

For example if in Proxmox I will create a new ZFS pool called vmdisk2, and then add it in Datacenter Storage UI as new ZFS storage for Disk image and Containers, will I be able to copy the above vm-***-disk-* files to a new vmdisk2 ZFS storage using command line, and then in each VM's Hardware settings change the Disk image location like in the following screenshot?
screenshot-2023-12-02-21-31-22@2x.png

Or what is the proper way if I could expand the current ZFS pool (1 + 1 disks mirrored pool) for VM disk images to disks with bigger capacity? Should I replace each drive within this pool one by one and run some command? Please help

Last edited:
If you click on a VM, click on Hardware and then select the hard drive, you can migrate it directly to the other storage live and via GUI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!