Moving virtual HDD only to another node?

peanutbutter

Oct 20, 2023
New England, USA
Hi everyone,

I was adding another node to my cluster today (node 4), and during the process, node 1 decided to crash. This triggered the HA, and it began spinning the VM up on node 2. The HA migration failed, and the hard disk was never moved. On node 2, I see the VM and the config; and on node 1, I see the hard disk.

I can not migrate the VM due to the missing disk, and there seems to be no way to move just the drive from local-lvm of node 1 to node 2. I have even tried to reimport to a new VM using `qm importdisk`, but it returns `vm-100-disk-0: non-existent or non-regular file`. In short, I just need the vhd - I don't care if it is on either node or on my own PC, but I would like it in any way I can. I am new to PM from ESXi.

Thanks in advance :)
pb

Edit: sorry, this is probably important info:
(All are running the newest PVE, and are fully up to date)
Node 1: HP ML350 G9, 96GB RAM - crashed, has HDD
Node 2: HP DL360 G6, 48GB RAM - alive, has VM config
Node 3: Dell PowerEdge R620, 128GB RAM
Node 4: Dell PowerEdge T710, 64GB RAM - adding this caused the crash?

Last edited:
This may sound stupid, but I fixed it - even though the VM was listed on node 2, I ran `qm start 100` on node 1, and it recognized node 1 as having the disk and it fired up. Leaving this up in case someone experiences something similar-

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!